Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is there a *central* DV unit in the Metropolitan Police?

(10 Posts)
kalidanger Tue 02-Apr-13 20:48:00

I've previously had a very bad experience with my local police and I'd rather go above or around them to log the latest incident hmm

I'm fine, just... frustrated. Or trying to do the right thing. Or, actually, someone needs to know in case I get murdered. Which I won't! But I might. People do, don't they? All the time.

kalidanger Wed 03-Apr-13 10:08:14


Who else can I get to help me?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 03-Apr-13 11:06:33

How about contacting your local, recently elected, Police & Crime Commissioner? If your case was poorly handled by the local branch then you should explain what went wrong to the PCC, tell them how you've lost faith in their ability to help you and make them responsible for fixing it. At the same time, contact your local police again, follow up in writing and have it on record that you have big concerns for your safety.... copying the PCC as a back-up.

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Apr-13 11:09:40

Have you been in contact with Refuge and the other organisations who can help you to stop being abused? Can you leave the person abusing you?

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 03-Apr-13 11:12:42

The short answer to your question is no, DV investigations are handled locally unless for some reason the report falls under the remit of a different, central unit. What were the reasons you are so unhappy?

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 03-Apr-13 11:14:31

Oh and the Met doesn't have a PCC, a similar function is carried out by the Mayor's Office For Policing And Crime in London.

kalidanger Wed 03-Apr-13 11:19:59

Thank you Cog I'm seriously considering making a complaint now it's started up again and I did not immediately feel that the police were my first and safest port of call.

Just to be clear I am not in the relationship anymore (not been for three months) but he's escalated from calling (and being ignored), to knocking on my door to ambushing me outside the tube station last night.

Anyway, I just rang 101 and someone is calling to arrange an appointment and I'll try, if at all possible, to steer them towards the harassment unit rather than the DV lot who were useless last time.

Thanks for replying.

kalidanger Wed 03-Apr-13 11:23:05

What were the reasons you are so unhappy?

I have a long list that I'd rather not detail but including failing to arrest him because they used the wrong name, asking HIM if he'd seen himself at his address and ignoring emails, messages and voicemails then saying "I'm sorry you feel I was ignoring you" when I complained.

If this sounds at all familiar I posted before but have NC'd.

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Apr-13 16:42:38

Good luck Kal, glad you are not living with them ( keep being strong) and I hope things improve for you and you feel support from the police this time.

kalidanger Wed 03-Apr-13 18:17:15

Thanks pancake smile I think this time there really won't be anything the police can realistically do as I don't know where he lives or works anymore but they need to know he's dangerous and escalating again sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now