Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Living with depressed DH

(26 Posts)
sooperdooper Mon 04-Feb-13 22:35:35

I'm struggling, my Dh is depressed, he sits in separate room playing computer games or watching dvds for dats on end. It got to a point 2 weeks ago he hadn't slept or eaten for 4 nights, he wasnt making sense, like a bipolar high, ranting and shouting things incoherently

I called an ambulance, he was seen by the a&e and psychiatric team and discharged with sleeping tablets

He's been to see the doctor and they've given him some tablets but last night he went up on his own again and is still there now

I made dinner, he won't eat, I ask him to come down, he says in a minute and never does. I try and talk to him and he says to give him space, but I've already been out of the house at work for 12 hours and then sat on my own all evening, I don't know how I can give him more space. I've asked him what is wrong and he says he says he needs to get used to the tablets but I don't see how sitting alone can help, he slept up there last night again, he won't listen

I want to cry, I feel so alone, I don't know what to do

sooperdooper Tue 12-Feb-13 21:50:24

Thanks everyone smile

He spoke to the doctor yesterday and they're going to chase up the CBT appointment, hoping for one before the end of the week. We had a follow up appointment with a crisis team nurse the day after he came out of hospital, and he said he was happy to discharge him from their care, but also recommended the CBT.

We've discusssed moving the computer downstairs, I'd prefer it if he was at least in the same room, I'll push for that tomorrow

No, no dc, we had plans to try this year, but right now it's pushed to the back of my mind

He does have a job, he's signed off sick by the doctor, and he has a gym membership through work, if he'd only go and use it, maybe I'll offer to go with him

Thanks for the book & website recommendations, I'll have a look, I had a really good read through the Mind site earlier which was really useful and I'm going to get him to read through their pages of depression

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now