Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Meeting up with first love after 20 years - good or bad?

(50 Posts)
muffintop Mon 07-Jan-13 21:09:28

He was the love of my life and probably never really got over him. Dated for about 3 years but split up -we were young, nieve (early 20s). We always knew what each other were doing (marriage, children etc but never spoke and only met once by chance).

Roll on 20 odd years We are both single and divorced. Ex sister contacted me on facebook and we have got chatting and are planning to meet up. I am on a rollercoaster of emotions but am trying to keep level headed as lots of things/people can change - trouble is I still fancy the pants off him and have never met anyone who made me feel like he did grin.

So disaster waiting to happen or just go with the flow?

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 07-Jan-13 21:12:06

Go with the flow so long as you're both single (as you've said). Did this with mine... We had a fling but it didn't go much further but we're still in touch and still friends.

Have fun!

Convict224 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:26:40

Oh best of luck Muffin. Let us know how it goes.

Convict224 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:27:09

Oh best of luck Muffin. Let us know how it goes.

Boggler Mon 07-Jan-13 21:28:26

How exciting it's the scenario we often dream about meeting up with the frost love, I really hope it goes well x

Boggler Mon 07-Jan-13 21:28:48

Err first love even !

Convict224 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:32:18

Doh. I am so useless.

Bubblegum78 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:36:02

How exciting! Go with the flow!

Let us know how it goes!

Have you seen recent pics of him? Is he still sexy?

Sorry..... getting carried away now lol.

myroomisatip Mon 07-Jan-13 21:45:41

Ahhhh you are lucky.

My first love, well, he died in an accident at work.

I will never forget him.

I truly wish you well smile smile

AViewfromtheFridge Mon 07-Jan-13 21:51:14

Go with the flow, but try to avoid daydreaming too much beforehand!

Enjoy...how exciting!

Allergictoironing Mon 07-Jan-13 21:52:49

My first real love is now one of my best friends and like a brother to me lol.

But I would go with the flow. If it works out great, and if it doesn't then at least you won't spend the rest of your life thinking "what if"

muffintop Mon 07-Jan-13 21:55:07

Bubblegum yes still sexy to me after all those years! He's the only man I have ever been with who made me tongue tied and my stomach flip! We have been emailing and both of us have great memories of our times together so will try and go with the flow and not get too carried away.

Myroomisatip sad that is so sad I am so sorry for you.

MagicHouse Mon 07-Jan-13 21:58:36

Sounds exciting - go with the flow and have fun grin

Ihatexmas Mon 07-Jan-13 22:00:42

How or why did you split up in the first place muffintop?

BluelightsAndSirens Mon 07-Jan-13 22:02:39

Ohh how exciting, my aunt did this and is now so very happily married.

muffintop Mon 07-Jan-13 22:06:38

I think we met too young 19 and 21, together 3 years and then we used to argue about silly things (like going out with the lads and vice versa) which I wouldn't bother arguing about today, stupid stuff like that and we drifted apart without a fight or anything. We we both immature and probably just met to young. It might also be closure for me as it took me a good fews years to get over him. Either way emotionally I think I'm in for a bit of a ride!

Smugfearnleyshittingstool Mon 07-Jan-13 22:14:08

Im off to snuggle up with my first love in a mo, fifteen years break but it's very nice to be back with him, and vie truly never loved anyone else the same. We do have a lot of kids in the mix now tho!!

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Mon 07-Jan-13 22:16:59

DO IT! I did the same and I am now married to him smile

muffintop Mon 07-Jan-13 22:17:17

that sounds lovely - I have 2 boys and he has 3!!

Taghain Mon 07-Jan-13 22:19:56

I met mine again after a 15-year gap, when we were both married to others & with 2 children each. We got along so well, had a little fling-ette and are now best of friends in a brother-and-sister type way. Meet him!

MonetsGardens Mon 07-Jan-13 23:12:23

Watching this thread with interest - I feel like a giddy teenager again and am struggling to maintain my normal 'very sensible' head grin

muffintop Fri 11-Jan-13 14:57:09

Just a quick update - we have been texting all week and are meeting up next Friday grin................now to get 2 stone off in a week!!

Boggler Fri 11-Jan-13 16:29:08

Just don't eat lol, seriously you can probably lose a stone just ith the excitement of it all.

alias71 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:57:36

So, you split up because you liked going out with the lads, eh?!! grin

It's a lovely story. I hope it works out and if it doesn't at least you've tried!!

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 11-Jan-13 21:31:43

Woohoooo! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now