Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can't afford to leave my husband

(4 Posts)
conway Fri 04-Jan-13 14:13:00

Have been unhappy in my relationship for years and really want to leave , mainly due to my husband's drinking.
The only problem is our 2 kids go to excellent private schools which they love and I know it wouldn't be fair if they had to leave. I am not sure I can wait until they leave school.
I would like to see a solicitor but they are so expensive.
Any advice appreciated

HecatePropolos Fri 04-Jan-13 14:18:48

Why would the children have to leave their school? Is their schooling dependent on you staying with your husband? Would he 'punish' his children by stopping paying for their education if you left? Or is it that there wouldn't be enough to run two households and pay for private school?

I think you have to accept that you can't leave without making changes/sacrifices and you have to choose what you want more - to leave your husband and be happy or to stay, be miserable and keep the children in private school.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 04-Jan-13 14:21:36

Many solicitors will offer a free half-hour consultation and you can find out a lot in that time. As said above, your husband would still be responsible for his children whether you are together or apart. Your children, I'm sure, would far rather have a happy mother than a fancy school.

GroundHogDayAgain Fri 04-Jan-13 14:40:48

Leave. Don't waste any more years away. Either make sure kids can somehow stay at their school or apply to another school which has decent ofsted report.
Kids will adapt. As long as they are in a happy home. It's a sacrifice but one you must take if you don't want to be sat there in 5/10 years time wondering where your life went. Trust me. I've done/am doing same as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now