Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

what do you call the person the you are still married to but no longer with? ex?

(19 Posts)
cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 16:29:47

is he my ex dh? even though we're not divorced?

am over thinking this but................

raspberryroop Sun 02-Dec-12 16:33:04


cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 16:33:46

ahh, thankyou.

FaffTastic Sun 02-Dec-12 16:35:36

I'm in the same situation and I just refer to him as my ex-husband. I try not to refer or speak about him at all though tbh!

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 16:36:01


44SoStartingOver Sun 02-Dec-12 16:37:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doha Sun 02-Dec-12 16:41:42

Twat turd wanker

just a few suggestions smile

Llareggub Sun 02-Dec-12 16:47:30

I usually say "my ex" or hiss his name, depending on how I am feeling.

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 16:48:41

grin at the moment we're still being polite but i'll keep these suggestions in mind grin

foolonthehill Sun 02-Dec-12 16:53:17

on MN it's STBX (soon to be ex) grin but everywhere else it's separated husband or the children's dad for me...though to be honest I avoid mentioning him at all unless it's really necessary!

Apparently he still wants the Christmas cards to be signed from all of us though hmm...guess whose writing them (as ever), guess who's not going to be mentioned on them!

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 16:58:14

fool- i had to quickly write some christmas cards yesterday. it was really odd.

that sounds good- childrens dad.

akaemmafrost Sun 02-Dec-12 16:59:49

Kids Dad, that's what he's in my phone as well.

fortyplus Sun 02-Dec-12 17:02:36

Me too... he's not 'ex husband' until you're divorced. You still have a husband so you can't marry someone else. We've been together 27 years so 'children's dad' would seem rather remote.

How I refer to him would depend on who's asking. I'd probably say 'my husband' but add 'although we're separated'.

I don't bear him any malice and have no wish to marry anyone else

Llareggub Sun 02-Dec-12 17:06:20

Well, I do have a new man in my life so I try to avoid talking about "my husband" as it feels a little odd.

madasa Sun 02-Dec-12 17:09:16

Work no in my book under SFB aka Shit For Brains
Home no in my book under WSD aka Walking Sperm Donor

Narked Sun 02-Dec-12 17:13:20

I'd say ex and add husband to that when the divorce comes through.

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 18:43:44


skyebluesapphire Sun 02-Dec-12 19:01:35

Twunt is a commonly used phrase... I referred to mine as STBXH on MN. Now he actually is XH. In my phone he is twunt. I may have to change that when DD learns how to read grin

i just called him the ex, to people as thats what he was , could have been ex H, ex P, ex anything...

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 19:54:54

grin . ex sounds perfect. twunt is being saved incase he decides to behave like one grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: