Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you start divorce proceedings when you have no money at all?

(6 Posts)
UterusUterusGhouli Mon 05-Nov-12 10:22:44

Can't be arsed to name change.

DH has decided he will not make an effort to save our marriage. It is over after just 3 years.

I don't know what to do. I want to set ball rolling, just for control I guess. So I don't feel like a victim.

I have no money. None. I earn £1000 per month. Half goes on childcare. Work paid me wrong this month so I got half of that. Rent £700 (HA though)

H still here, so I guess I don't get legal aid. His sister in law, so he's not worried.

I want to die.

UterusUterusGhouli Mon 05-Nov-12 10:33:09

I mean his sister is in the legal profession.

CogitoErgoSparklers Mon 05-Nov-12 10:46:46

Many solicitors offer a free half hour consultation during which you should find out about getting him out of your home and also how to get the divorce ball rolling. CAB are also very good with advice. If you are penniless, you can always include your solicitor's fee as part of the settlement .... my ex and I got one solicitor and shared the bill.

dequoisagitil Mon 05-Nov-12 10:47:20

You can do it yourself (but there are court fees). [ Link to forms].

You could see if you could get a free half-hour initial consultation with a solicitor and get as much advice as you can. You could also talk to CAB.

JuliaScurr Mon 05-Nov-12 10:53:15
might take a while to get through on phone

UterusUterusGhouli Mon 05-Nov-12 10:55:24

Thank you. I hadn't thought of the cab. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now