Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My MIL and SIL are doing this weird thing?

(26 Posts)
NovemberRain Sun 04-Nov-12 00:41:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RyleDup Sun 04-Nov-12 00:44:06

No. Its their problem. Let them get on with it.

rhondajean Sun 04-Nov-12 02:03:46

Yep it's competitive they think you lok better than they do carry on as you were!

GhettoPrincess Sun 04-Nov-12 03:32:13

I don't think they get out much !

GhettoPrincess Sun 04-Nov-12 03:34:14

My MIL wil copy my SIL i.e. SIL got a particular perfume, MIL had to get the exact same one ! MIL didn't even want it, she just wanted to copy SIL. SIL buys a new car, yup, you guessed it, MIL has to follow suit.

mameulah Sun 04-Nov-12 04:41:23

Be pleased they are busy with each other, at least they are not including you in it. I would go out of my way to do more of the same of whatever you normally do and TOTALLY IGNORE their comments. Good luck! It could be worse, they could be your neighbours or something!

2rebecca Sun 04-Nov-12 04:55:27

Agree with other comments, it's them not you. Be glad you aren't your SIL who sounds as though she needs to move 100 miles away from her mother to get her own life back.

MadamFolly Sun 04-Nov-12 12:33:07

Odd, it could just be that they don't get out much so visiting family is a chance to get dressed up nicely.

stinkinseamonkey Sun 04-Nov-12 12:35:18

I don't get out much grin so I often over dress for fairly informal things. Its very exciting to go somewhere worth straightening my hair for! blush

NovemberRain Sun 04-Nov-12 12:56:18

mutny Sun 04-Nov-12 13:33:56

ghetto are you my sil?

My mil does that. My new car, my pride and joy. Mik bought practically the same one same colour 2 weeks later.

You are lucky op, they leave you out. smile

PickledFanjoCat Sun 04-Nov-12 13:36:04

You should get dolled up like crystal carrington next time they come.

It's quite a compliment I think, they must think you are very smart. grin

sayithowitis Sun 04-Nov-12 13:36:35

Do they think you are royalty grin? Seriously, sounds to me that for some reason they feel somewhat inferior to you and therefore have to make an effort to make their own appearance as good as yours. Take it as a compliment.

akaemmafrost Sun 04-Nov-12 13:50:33

This made me grin.

What a pair of doughnuts. I'd love it if my family members were like this, would really liven up those dull family get togethers.

akaemmafrost Sun 04-Nov-12 13:54:08

grin Krystle Carrington! Oh please, please do that OP. I would.

NovemberRain Sun 04-Nov-12 14:47:53

Bobyan Sun 04-Nov-12 18:28:44

OMG OP, you have to continue with this, what about Hilary Devey off Dragons Den? Or the TOWIE look.
You could have so much fun, I'm nearly jealous!!

WhoNickedMyName Sun 04-Nov-12 18:46:03

Well I can't stand my SIL and I'm always looking for new ways to get right up her nose, so if something as inane as getting my hair blow-dried and getting dolled up to the nines to visit pisses her off as much as it seems to piss you off, I'll have to give it a try.

grin

NovemberRain Sun 04-Nov-12 23:33:11

NovemberRain Mon 05-Nov-12 00:02:20

needsomeperspective Mon 05-Nov-12 02:57:18

These women sound like neurotic freaks. But then again I still have 3 stone of baby weight to lose and am lucky if I get out of a kaftan at weekends so who am I to judge?!

GhettoPrincess Mon 05-Nov-12 03:22:18

If you can bear it, deliberately have the house to hot or to cold for the time of year so it still looks like they've dressed all wrong ! (Or will that just be a cue for them to criticise the heating/ventilation in your house ?)

If it's appropriate cook something the night before that you know the smell will linger i.e. curry. Smells delicious when it's ready. Smells like stale curry the morning after at breakfast time !

Also sounds to me like they spend far to much time in each others' company. I had a friend who's boyfriend's mum would go to an event and say out loud that she was wearing her second best clothes as she was saving her best clothes for a better event later. Don't ask me !

AgathaFusty Mon 05-Nov-12 07:55:46

Well, I feel quite sorry for them really. They are obviously massively insecure, and very conscious of wanting to appear in a certain way to other people.

Having said that, it would piss me off too grin. Do they do competitive present buying too?

2rebecca Mon 05-Nov-12 10:50:08

They sound very insecure, there is a middle line between super smart and pyjamas though. I don't get people who want to wear night wear during the day, just buy some comfortable clothes.

schobe Mon 05-Nov-12 10:55:40

I love 'trial hair runs' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now