Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My dad's had a nervous breakdown.

(4 Posts)
Badgerina Tue 30-Oct-12 18:02:21

Tell me everything you know please. What exactly does this mean? What are your experiences of this? He and my mum live in Geneva so haven't been able to talk to Doctors etc. He's being kept in a psych ward for at least the next week. On medication.

mameulah Tue 30-Oct-12 18:20:30

Hi Badgerina

Sorry to hear that your Dad is not feeling himself. Unfortunately I don't know anything about nervous breakdowns, suffice to say that I am sure he will return to his normal self in time and that having a supportive family must play a huge part in the recovery process. I hope that everything is going well for you and your newborn. Thinking of you and sending you and your family love and support.

x

Teabagtights Tue 30-Oct-12 18:22:34

I have had two.

Its the most terrifying time. I felt that I was in the middle of the sea drowning thrashing around with no life belt.

Like I was down a dark small well and was so far down I could not see the light at the top, and that every step I made towards the light seemed to take forever.

Thought I would never make it.

Took me three years to get over it, Im on anti-depressants now and they are brilliant will be for life.

He must have been suffering for a long time.

Be there for him, let him talk, don't ever tell him to pull himself together mental illness does not work like that.

tallwivglasses Tue 30-Oct-12 23:54:41

Teabag, that's a really clear description. It reminded me of this by Purple Ronnie

I've had people close to me with MH issues and found it really helpful. Give your mum lots of support x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now