Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My ex has stolen money from our children.

(10 Posts)
RainbowCrash Tue 30-Oct-12 12:03:14

I found out yesterday that my ex has withdrawn all the money from my ds and dd's savings account. I don't know why I'm shocked, this is hardly the first shitty thing he's done, but i am. It wouldnt be so bad if he had taken it when he was unemployed and paid it back, but i know it's been gone for over a year. In that time he has got a new job which pays well, taken one holiday and booked two more, bought ridiculously expensive new sunglasses, new clothes, all kinds of gadgets. I don't know if he's ever planning on paying it back. I'm just so angry and there's no-one I can talk to about this in real life.

dequoisagitil Tue 30-Oct-12 12:06:33

Why can't you talk to anyone about it in RL?

I guess all you can do is set up new savings accounts for them that he has no access to and thank goodness he's an ex. What a git.

OpheliaPayneAgain Tue 30-Oct-12 12:07:19

Has he taken it and put it out of your reach? I assume he was a signatory on the account?

CogitoEerilySpooky Tue 30-Oct-12 12:08:39

Have you demanded it is repaid? How 'ex' is he? Could it be part of the divorce settlement? Added to the maintenance he should pay the DCs?

starfishmummy Tue 30-Oct-12 12:11:48

Well I think you have to talk to him about it and ask him how he is going to replace it - even if it is only a few pounds a month (given to you).
And then make sure the kids have new accounts that he doesn't know about and has no access to.

OpheliaPayneAgain Tue 30-Oct-12 12:14:00

Who was the signatory on the account?

How do you know he hasn't set up accounts you cannot access and put the money there?

RainbowCrash Tue 30-Oct-12 12:18:10

Thanks for the replies.
The accounts were set up after the children's christening so a lot of the people i'm close to in real life had put money into them. That's why I don't feel I can admit to them the money's gone.
He was the only signatory on the accounts, which was stupid of me. he told me the bank would only allow one name on the accounts.
I have texted him about re-paying it. He hasn't replied. I talked to him yesterday and he acted like it was no big deal. I think he will probably agree to repay the money slowly, along with maintenance. I'll put it into an account which he doesnt have access to. I just can't understand his attitude, he's lied about money before but this just seems so much worse.

RainbowCrash Tue 30-Oct-12 12:19:50

it was only about six hundreds pounds so i know he wont have put the money anywhere. He'll have spent it. He's incapable of saving money.

CogitoEerilySpooky Tue 30-Oct-12 12:21:24

I'd tell people what he's done. Tell them he duped you into putting it into his account (if the DCs were babies it's only theirs nominally, not legally). He lied about having one adult name on the accounts, clearly. Explain it that way and it protects you rather than defending him.

Is the financial settlement in the hands of a solicitor?

dequoisagitil Tue 30-Oct-12 12:31:57

It's not something you need to admit to - it's his shame. I would tell people.

It's not stupid of you to have thought he could be trusted with his dc's money. None of it is your fault. Entirely his.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now