Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DH likes to get stoned and run around pretending to be a goddamn jedi.

(46 Posts)
theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:23:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 27-Oct-12 22:24:29

Is it world of Warcraft? It's like crack that game.

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 27-Oct-12 22:26:35

The Star Wars RPG, I presume?

Would you be interested in playing along to see if you can get into it? It's not bad but not as good as WoW

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:28:06

germyrabbit Sat 27-Oct-12 22:28:43

god that would irk me, cut the plug off

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:29:05

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 27-Oct-12 22:29:47

Also - do you find the drug taking problematic? I've never been around anyone whose taken drugs so I don't want to speak out of turn, but that seems like a lot. Perhaps if he didn't, he could play an hour or so and then do something with you? Or you could agree that he can smoke 2 nights a week, and spend 5 watching TV/talking/generally being together?

There must be something he likes to do other than smoke and play Star Wars. If not, it is probably approaching addictive. My OH loves games, especially RPGs, but doesn't play anywhere near that much and he will always include me even if I die all the time. The game isn't that big anyway. I finished it comprehensively within a few months of release, and I only played once a week or so, so he must be doing the same missions over and over.

MaryZcary Sat 27-Oct-12 22:30:09

You can leave out the jedi bit.

If he gets stoned, that would be enough to piss me off.

Hassled Sat 27-Oct-12 22:31:19

I have no problem with gaming but this does sound desperately sad. Sad as in pathetic, and sad as in this is no way to live a life with someone. Does he know how you feel?

LilQueenie Sat 27-Oct-12 22:31:38

wake up he is not the perfect father. he is smoking illegal drugs and when the kids are in the house.

PersonalClown Sat 27-Oct-12 22:32:53

Ahh Old Republic. Dp used to play it. Kept him out of my way.
Now he's on NBA 2K and Fifa 13.

There were some 'proper' players who would speak in Jedi/Yoda only when helping with quests/missions. I didn't take the piss, oh no!

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:35:35

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 27-Oct-12 22:39:43

It feels like more than that to me.

My OH is a gamer too. He builds computers, plays all the games, has a state of the art computer. He can discuss any game with anyone, and has armies of friends who game. They used to have parties where they'd take their desktops to each others houses and game for nights on end.

But he didn't lose his life in it, and he plays a few times a week. Nothing like your DH. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, WoW, EVE - they are all fantastic, but in moderation. I play, sometimes, and being a gamer myself I get caught up in it too - especially new expansions - but I couldn't play every night endlessly. That's too much time invested into a world that isn't real.

Would he see an addiction counsellor, or agree to cut down?

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:45:57

TeaDr1nker Sat 27-Oct-12 22:46:16

Mmmm, how can this not be a problem to you? Seriously, do you do stuff as a family, or/and as a couple. This type of behaviour would set my alarm bells off. Fwiw, my DH used to spend hours on the computer playing games, it was his way of escaping the reality that we no longer had anything in common. He is now exDH.

He should get of the box and nurture your marriage.

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:49:31

LilQueenie Sat 27-Oct-12 22:51:54

I dont think you got my point. When did it become ok to take illegal drugs ever? When did it become acceptable to take them with children present?

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 22:56:43

SchrodingersUndeadMew Sat 27-Oct-12 22:58:23

Hi there, when I met DP he was constantly on Star Wars KOTAR (the old one but I assume you already knew that) but made loads of time for us now a few years down the line, it's Champions Online now and there's not so much time for us.

The only thing I can think to say to you is what I try to do with him and that's talk to him as much as you can and tell him exactly what you feel, tbh I don't think it's the best advice as it never really works for me but I do feel your pain with this.

DP used to be the most loving, snuggly person you could meet now the same as you I am over here on my laptop and he is on the other side of the room with his.

Perfectly happy when he is not playing his games though (which is more often than not atm tbh).

KateShmate Sat 27-Oct-12 23:01:53

How does he act after he has been smoking? What if your DC are ill or awake - would he be able to help out/deal with it?

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 23:02:47

expatinscotland Sat 27-Oct-12 23:03:22

I'm sorry. I only read the thread title and it made me laugh my arse off.

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 23:06:09

SchrodingersUndeadMew Sat 27-Oct-12 23:07:45

DP is ^exactly* the same, it sort of annoys me as well as most people who see him wont realise this is a problem as they don't see him constantly on it so I feel like a moan.

I also get the I don't see what the problem is routine and that the more I nag about it the less he wants to come off it. Tbh now I am not much better as I have learnt to live with it by practically living on here.

I love DP very much and he's great in practically every other day if I didn't this would probably make me want to leave him, I assume you are in the same position?

Perhaps do the same to him for a while when he isn't on his computer? Immerse yourself in something on the laptop and ignore. I do this sometimes and it definitely gets his attention and he takes me a bit more seriously when it comes to discussing it for a while.

theykillhorses Sat 27-Oct-12 23:08:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now