Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Could this be reported to police?

(12 Posts)
MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 20:44:37

If a sexual assault occurred months ago within a marriage can it still be reported to the police and if so how would one go about doing it?

garlicbaguette Tue 23-Oct-12 20:47:12

Yes. I think you'd start by ringing 101. Police forces now have dedicated DV units. You could say you want to make a report to them.

Are you OK? Would it be a good idea to ring Womens Aid or Rape Crisis, just to talk and find out what your options are?

TeaTeaLotsOfTea Tue 23-Oct-12 20:47:24

telephone 101.

You can report a sexual assault anytime.

Look at the Jimmy Saville case.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Tue 23-Oct-12 20:48:28

yes it can

are you ok ?

MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 20:51:16

I'm good thanks. I have been talking to women's aid a bit but haven't got to this yet. I can only talk to them in short bursts.

If I talked to the police about it will they insist on pressing charges or will it still be up to me?

MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 20:52:00

H isn't here anymore by the way so I am safe.

garlicbaguette Tue 23-Oct-12 21:02:31

Hmm, they could insist on pressing charges but would still need you to witness. I could imagine they might want to insist if it turns out they've got numerous complaints about the same man. Should that be so, however, you'd probably want to help them. Unless you saw a doctor about injuries received during the assault, evidence would be pretty hard to raise.

Why not ask the police about that? smile

MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 21:16:52

I'm scared of telling people. Its not real at the moment. In fact they may turn round and say he did nothing wrong.

Waiting for WA to call back.

HissyByName Tue 23-Oct-12 21:19:02

I get the feeling that they won't tell you he did nothing wrong love. we are hear for you chick, whatever you need eh?

MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 21:54:49

I just spoke to a lady from WA who was really lovely. She's has given me some numbers to call for support in my area. She also said what he did was definately rape sad I find it very difficult to use that word.

MissMemoo Tue 23-Oct-12 21:59:00

If I did report it and he was convicted would he be sent to prison?

I can't do that to him. And I'd be depriving my dc of their father. How would I explain that to them?

olgaga Tue 23-Oct-12 22:23:15

And I'd be depriving my dc of their father.

He is responsible for his own actions - being a father is his responsibility not yours. If you commit a crime, being a parent doesn't give you special status.

How would I explain that to them?

How old are they?

You say you are now "safe". You obviously weren't safe when you were with him.

Do you still have contact with him, "for the children's sake?

Must go to bed now but will be back in the morning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: