Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Channel 4 DV documentary has just finished Do you know your partners past?

(13 Posts)
Itsgottabebags Mon 22-Oct-12 20:31:50

All about Claire's law and DV. Probably on catch up.

Thought it might be worth posting here

caramelwaffle Mon 22-Oct-12 20:37:17

I thought the same: slightly ambivalent at the moment, however, I am coming down on the side of it being A Good Thing.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:43:03

Didn't watch it but what I know about it, I do not think its a good idea.

Will watch this thread with interest tho

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 22-Oct-12 20:48:09

I saw it, I think it's a good idea. What would the arguments against it be?

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 21:40:26

Would a person with a history of DV be known to the police?

How would it help women who suffer mental/emotional abused?

What about the men who ARE being abusive, and it comes back clear? Where does that leave the woman?

Clare Wood's (The woman who the law is named after) was murdered by her EX boyfriend. How would have this helped her?

ImperialBlether Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:09

Presumably he would never have been a boyfriend if she'd known about his past?

YouSmegHead Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:18

I'm currently down the road from where that poor woman had her eyes gauged out. Defo feel it's a good thing, but am concerned its seen a solution but also dv isn't reported anywhere near enough do can it really help?

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 21:51:17

But he did end up stalking her.

But you have to be in the relationship to find out the information.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 21:59:25

Found this from the Home Office.

Under the scheme women will have the right to ask the police whether a new or existing partner has a violent past. If police checks show that a person may be at risk of domestic violence from their partner, the police will consider disclosing the information.

So what will the police consider signs of DV?

The Association of Chief Police Officers' lead on domestic abuse, Chief Constable Carmel Napier, said: 'A key part of policing is to protect people from harm. The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme is intended to empower people to make informed decisions to protect themselves and their children when getting involved with a new partner.

So empower informed decisions to protect themselves, but with what help? From who?

It will also allow the police to act in the best interests of people they believe could be at risk of violence by sharing information of a partners' violent past.

Thats assuming the the violence is physical.

HissyByName Mon 22-Oct-12 23:23:15

I agree, sadly the violence is going to be the call to action, due to the immediate risk to health/life.

It's a start, we all need to work so hard to keep pushing on this. DV is the new racism. Once Racism was tolerated, commonplace, accepted. Now it's not.

Bromptonaut Mon 22-Oct-12 23:54:11

Don't have problem with ability to access a potential partner's antecedents but how you form a judgement?

If record shows abusive relationship with multiple partners it's clear cut. But if it's just one and he says she was abusive/manipulative what's that telling you?

You take up with him and turns out he's the problem. 'Contributory Negligence' or not?

What if the ex makes allegations out of spite/jealousy/shes abusive.

Ok, might not be common but it does happen.

steppemum Tue 23-Oct-12 00:07:59

I think the problem with these laws is the same problem as the CRB check for children

It assumes that the perpetrator has a record, that their behaviour has come to the notice of the police, whereas many people manage to stay under the radar. It lulles people into false sense of security if they get the all clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now