Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Problem with goup of "friends"

(101 Posts)
FTF Fri 19-Oct-12 14:59:14

Hello everyone I am new and this is my first post. From the outside it looks like I have the perfect life. My DH is a successful lawyer. Between us we have a lovely child. As I said this all seems perfect but my problem is a group of so called "friends". They are really bitchy and always going on about how much their husbands earn (I never mention my DH's earnings) and how much their watches costs. I find talking to them very difficult at times and this morning I just couldn't communicate with them at all. I know you will all say "dump them" but the problem is that I sometimes get bored during the day and have no one else to talk to.

What else can I do to pass the time of day?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 19-Oct-12 15:01:09

'Dump them'... then make an effort to find new friends to talk to. Get out and about, get a job, join local groups, mix with people who have more interesting on their minds than the price of a watch... hmm You'll be far happier.

FTF Fri 19-Oct-12 15:19:07

Thank you Cogito for the advice but I'd rather not get a job if I'm being honest and I already get out and about quite a lot. At least twice a week I go on shopping trips to the West End. I also have a tennis lesson every Friday. Its meaningful conversation during the day which I am lacking. I have met up with a few other mums when taking Oliver to the park but I find them quite shallow. All they want to talk about is their child and quite frankly if I was going to talk to people about a child I'd rather we spoke about Oliver. I was thinking of starting latin lessons, that might energise my brain somewhat smile

SecretCermonials Fri 19-Oct-12 15:24:33

biscuit

mutny Fri 19-Oct-12 15:26:40

Ok then.

FTF Fri 19-Oct-12 15:27:24

SecretCermonials - Sorry but I don't understand!

ArterialSpurtMonkey Fri 19-Oct-12 15:27:42

Snort

herbaceous Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:14

Erm... if you want something interesting to talk about, how about doing something interesting? If you live in London, instead of shopping what about all the zillions of museums, galleries, etc. Or volunteer at one of the many charities crying out for help.

ilovemyteddies Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:17

It should be Ollie not Oliver, no wonder no-one really gets on with you, you just don't see the way things should be done.

biscuit

Hullygully Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:21

I know exactly what you mean.

Have you considered witchcraft?

herbaceous Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:52

Or is this a joke?

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 15:30:46

Or morris-dancing?

ArterialSpurtMonkey Fri 19-Oct-12 15:31:01

I'll vey our friend op, my watch was £1.50 in b and m bargains. I already know latin though so you'll have to work hard if you don't want me to find you boring and shallow.

DuelingFanjo Fri 19-Oct-12 15:31:20

Have you tried psychotherapy?

Hullygully Fri 19-Oct-12 15:32:07

Several of my bored rich mother friends have started wormeries, they are quite the craze. What about one of those? Or breeding gerbils?

ArterialSpurtMonkey Fri 19-Oct-12 15:32:50

PMSL at wormeries

Hullygully Fri 19-Oct-12 15:33:41

Nothing funny about wormeries, they demand committment and a lot of thought. One of my friends is now doing a diploma in soil management.

FrankensteinWippery Fri 19-Oct-12 15:34:17

Hahahahaha

phantomhairpuller Fri 19-Oct-12 15:34:35

Yawn biscuit

ArterialSpurtMonkey Fri 19-Oct-12 15:35:09

I've often thought about soil myself.

FrankensteinWippery Fri 19-Oct-12 15:35:52

As long as it's not soiling yourself Artex. Now that wouldn't be a good thing.

ArterialSpurtMonkey Fri 19-Oct-12 15:36:04

Oh I can't make that work.

Hullygully Fri 19-Oct-12 15:36:40

I saw some extraordinarily long worms on the street today, flooded out by the rain and I thought of taking them for my friends, but I couldn't think how to transport them. I didn't want to put them in my pocket.

cestlavielife Fri 19-Oct-12 15:38:08

plenty of day time courses at city lit eg www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Humanities/History_and_politics/%27Make_it_new%27%3A_twentieth_century_art_in_Europe_and_America

or mary ward centre

to stretch your mind and meet new people

www.marywardcentre.ac.uk/MWProspectus1213.pdf

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 15:38:12

Perhaps Oliver's pencil case could be pressed into service if the OP found herself in a similar situation, Hully?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now