Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Abuse as a child

(6 Posts)
newbeteacher Wed 17-Oct-12 22:03:18

I have never spoken about this to anyone but feel safe doing it on here.

I think I was sexually assaulted when I was about 3 or 4 but I can only remember bits. It has been playing on my mind for years and I have recently got out of an emotionally abusive relationship - which seems to be stirring a lot up again.

All I remember is being with my aunt, a beach, a tent and a man touching me inappropriately. Am I mad or did this really happen? I have asked my parents if they can remember where I was with my aunt at the time but neither can recollect.

Thoughts please would be appreciated xx

RobynRidingHood Wed 17-Oct-12 22:10:25

Is your aunt still alive?

A conversation along the lines of "do you remember when you took me to the beach? where was that? who came with us?"

a man touching me inappropriately. Am I mad or did this really happen - helping you change a bathing costume? drying you? or properly touching you whilst no one else was watching?

chipsandmushypeas Wed 17-Oct-12 22:10:36

It sounds quite specific to be made up. Sorry you've had this on your mind op, it's horrible. There is a great thread for people who were abused as children, I'm sure they could give you great advice x

CailinDana Wed 17-Oct-12 22:15:57

Of course it's just about impossible to say for sure whether it happened or not.

But it is very common for abuse to surface in this way in adulthood - through hazy memories. What you might find is that memories start hitting you a bit harder or that you start getting flashbacks.

How are you feeling about it?

chipsandmushypeas Wed 17-Oct-12 22:52:58

Maybe hypnotherapy could help?

newbeteacher Thu 18-Oct-12 09:20:19

Thanks for your posts Robyn the latter one - touching in appropriately when no one else was around. Yes my aunt is still alive.

I will take on all your advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now