Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Your Local Friendship Bench Needs You!

(37 Posts)
SlightlyJaded Wed 17-Oct-12 14:17:09

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/1426504-When-you-need-a-RL-friend?pg=2

This thread gives historic info.

Now that MNHQ have launched the lovely all
Singing/all dancing shiny new Local Boards, its very easy to find and sit on the friendship bench

I just wanted to remind everyone that it's there for anyone ANYWHERE in need of a friend. You don't have be 'in need' to sit on it - you can just lurk on there in case someone in your area turns up looking for a RL shoulder.

So many times on MN, especially on the relationships boards, posters have had amazing support and been offered warmth and wisdom, but have been lacking a single RL person to bolster them up. The friendship bench is somewhere we can encourage people to go to find such a person. Sometimes tea, cake and a RL person to eat it with can be all you need to take a final decisive step/stop you feeling completely isolated/get your head straight.

But this will only work if as well as directing people to he bench, we check our local
Boards from time to time to see if anyone is sat on the bench hoping someone will come
along.

I know it seems like a big ask - taking on a strangers problems when lives are full and stressful, but in he time it takes to meet someone in a local cafe, you could make a real difference. It doesn't have to be a long term 'commitment' - just a friendly hand being held out.

I can think of a few posts where a RL meet with a MNer made a world of difference to the OP and the friendship bench is just a tool
for facilitating that more easily.

I know it won't be for everyone but I thought a timely reminder now that the new Local boards are launching wouldn't go a miss.

SorryMyLollipop Wed 17-Oct-12 14:28:56

here

SlightlyJaded Wed 17-Oct-12 14:31:27

Thanks Lollipop. I am on my phone and couldn't find the second thread to link to.

SlightlyJaded Thu 18-Oct-12 09:00:50

Bump.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Thu 18-Oct-12 10:50:43

Another bump here - what a terrific idea!

BLOO3Z Wed 31-Oct-12 10:51:24

lovely idea I would be interested in that.

Lemonylemon Wed 31-Oct-12 10:57:13

Feckity feck. I can't put my name on the Friendship Bench on my local.... grr...

BLOO3Z Wed 31-Oct-12 11:03:55

Lemonylemon This is not working for me either tried to post for The Friendship Bench in Highlands & Islands I have just tried to post no luck with this at all.

TimrousBeastie Wed 31-Oct-12 11:05:58

ah so thats what its for, lovely idea. I find my new local board very hard to navigate, haven't been able to find the talk section on it at all but I have found the bench and will lurk.

BLOO3Z Wed 31-Oct-12 11:15:12

nope this not working at all this is nothing on this, how is this going to work is one person going to mange the local one, I would not mind doing this, would be interested in getting this going here as it needed in the highlands.

TodaysAGhoulDay Wed 31-Oct-12 11:42:24

Help? I've gone here and can't put anything into the 'Search' box. Am I just being thick?

Purpleknickers Wed 31-Oct-12 23:46:04

I have been trying for 3 days I think we all need to nag the techie guys sad

garlicbaguette Thu 01-Nov-12 00:15:15

I can't add anything either sad

fluffyraggies Thu 01-Nov-12 10:06:54

I've got as far as The Friendship Bench Northamptonshire, with a box saying 'alphabetical' but the rest of the page is blank!

Is that what others are seeing on theirs?

garlicbaguette Thu 01-Nov-12 13:37:26

Yep, Fluffy. When I click Add, the page reloads the same as before.

PeppermintPasty Thu 01-Nov-12 13:48:50

I can only see London sites, and I'm in the South West confused

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 20:21:12

BLOO3Z

nope this not working at all this is nothing on this, how is this going to work is one person going to mange the local one, I would not mind doing this, would be interested in getting this going here as it needed in the highlands.

Ooh, I spy a Local Editor… Are you volunteering Bloo3z? If you're interested, do pm me or email local@mumsnet.com. You're right, the sooner we have Local Editors on the rest of the sites, the more useful it will be for everyone.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 20:24:29

TimrousBeastie

ah so thats what its for, lovely idea. I find my new local board very hard to navigate, haven't been able to find the talk section on it at all but I have found the bench and will lurk.

We know it's a bit frustrating at the moment. The Friendship Bench isn't working yet, it'll come with Local Talk, which we are promised by tech will be launching very soon when they've stopped admiring each other's facial hair

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 20:25:08

TodaysAGhoulDay

Help? I've gone here and can't put anything into the 'Search' box. Am I just being thick?

No, you're not being thick. It's not live yet, but coming soon

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 20:29:16

fluffyraggies

I've got as far as The Friendship Bench Northamptonshire, with a box saying 'alphabetical' but the rest of the page is blank!

Is that what others are seeing on theirs?

The Group Meet-ups pages are there. Take a look at this for an example: local.mumsnet.com/bath/group-meet-ups/paulton

If you email local@mumsnet.com we can set up a meet-ups page for you.

The Friendship Bench is designed more as a one-to-one meet-ups talk thread (when it arrives)

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 20:29:56

PeppermintPasty

I can only see London sites, and I'm in the South West confused

Which county/city are you in PP?

PeppermintPasty Thu 01-Nov-12 21:23:55

Hi Emma. I'm in Cornwall. Any pointers?

Walkacrossthesand Fri 02-Nov-12 08:00:13

Another one waiting to be allowed to sit on my local friendship bench - Southampton. All that comes up there at the mo is an invitation to advertise as a local business grin. Will you let us know when it's ready MNHQ?

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Nov-12 10:45:54

PeppermintPasty

Hi Emma. I'm in Cornwall. Any pointers?

Yes, look at local.mumsnet.com/cornwall

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Nov-12 10:50:17

Walkacrossthesand

Another one waiting to be allowed to sit on my local friendship bench - Southampton. All that comes up there at the mo is an invitation to advertise as a local business grin. Will you let us know when it's ready MNHQ?

Yes we will, promise. We've got a Local Editor in Southampton already, so there is some content on the site. Would you like us to set you up with a group Meet-ups page? Choose from the list of areas here local.mumsnet.com/southampton/group-meet-ups
Also, do 'like' the Facebook page too as there will be info appearing regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now