Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I need some opinions - read this conversation and tell me if you think he was being serious or not please!

(6 Posts)
HellsBellys Mon 15-Oct-12 14:51:44

Ok I posted about this last night when I was all of a tither, tired and in shock. So please excuse me posting the same thing again but I just want honest opinions on whether you reckon he was being serious or not.

Basically, the backstory is that boyfriend and I have been planning a holiday to california. Within this trip we hope to stay in Vegas for 3 nights.

Last night, he took me out for dinner and during conversation about this trip he suddenly said "shall we go and get married?" shock caught me completely off guard and after a few seconds silence, I just laughed. He laughed a nervous laugh too but his face told me he was actually watching my reaction. I realised maybe he was being serious but there was an awkward silence and I started blathering on about tacky vegas weddings and so he said "yeah they can be tacky can't they - but I don't know, I'd maybe go for it - if it was something I was going to do anyway and I was up that way - " another awkward silence and then a swift change of subject.

He was pretty quiet for the rest of the night and today have barely heard from him. My friend tells me he was OBVIOUSLY being serious but I'm shit scared of bringing it up with him again. Simply because - previously it has always been him that has backed off when he's thought things were moving too fast. He wanted to take things slow etc and I've tried so hard to give him the space and time he needed.

Now, he's coming here tonight to watch movies with me. I have to bring it up because if he was being serious, I need to apologise for laughing and we need to talk about it. What I'm frightened of is if I ask him if he was being serious and he bursts out laughing and says "what??? of course I was joking!!" and then thinks I'm a mad bunny boiler who wants to run off down the ailse with him.

But my friend said men don't joke about marriage and any man with half a brain cell knows not to bring up marriage with their girlfriend unless they mean it.

So honest opinions needed before tonight please. Yes I know I could just ask him and I intend to tonight but in the meantime - what do you reckon? and how should I ask him so that I don't sound crazy if he was joking.

HellsBellys Mon 15-Oct-12 14:53:28

Sorry not to drip feed but I'm starting to wonder if he was simply testing my reaction to judge how I'd take a real proposal - he's taking me to Dublin in December - could be that he's planning to propose for real there??

MmeLindor Mon 15-Oct-12 14:54:13

'I panicked a bit when you brought up getting married in Vegas, and realise that I might have hurt your feelings' .. or similar

How long have you been together?

MmeLindor Mon 15-Oct-12 14:54:42

XP
Stop overthinking it and actually SPEAK to the man.

skiesmylimit Mon 15-Oct-12 14:57:03

I think he's being serious.

He may be planning to propose, he wanted to see your reaction. You need to ask him out right if he was being serious. You won't look silly for asking.

izzyizin Mon 15-Oct-12 15:03:25

Second post on the same topic and the same comment applies.

You barely know this guy but you've been talking about a buying a house together 'after Christmas'. I hope you mean Christmas 2013.

If he proposes make it clear that you expect a serious rock long engagement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now