Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

40 tomorrow - I will survive!

(9 Posts)
essejay Sat 13-Oct-12 21:59:20

Hi all,

Posted a few weeks ago, am in process of leaving my 10 year marriage. H had history of texting ow's, emailing ow's and finally internet dating ow's over the last few years. Finally found the courage and strength to say enough and decided to separate. He left the family home three weeks ago (have one DS).

My promise to myself was that I would not be 40 and in a unhappy marriage, well D-Day has come and I have kept that promise to myself. Determinded not to be dragged down by the 40 something stigma. Tomorrow will be the start of my new 'independent' life!

For some 40 is a depressing milestone, for me - its set me free smile

Just hope I feeling this postive next week ;)

Mintyy Sat 13-Oct-12 22:04:47

Happy birthday to you essejay thanks.

40 is a milestone age - fabulous but a bit daunting all that the same time.

However, you never want to be 40 and sharing your life with an utter arse at the same time, so I reckon you have extra reasons to celebrate your forthcoming birthday grin.

Yika Sat 13-Oct-12 22:06:13

Well done! You deserve a fab new life! And 40 is barely past teenage these days, I'm tellin ya! I'm much older and still incredibly immature young.

Congratulations, I love being in my forties. I am more comfortable in my skin, feelings and choices than ever before.

And by ditching that lump I bet you are losing wrinkles and grey hair! Stress is the major cause of ageing.

What nice treats have you planned for yourself?

X

Doha Sat 13-Oct-12 23:13:19

Life begins at 40 !!!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday , you have got rid of a deadweight and have a wonderful bright future ahead.

Have a great day

essejay Sat 13-Oct-12 23:13:30

Thank you ladies,

Agree 40 isn't seen as being quite 'so' old anymore and I feel I can be comfortable turning 40 and being single without feeling my life is over just because a man isn't in it. Guess I feel still young enough to be able to start again.

I stuck with my marriage during my late thirties as the whole idea of separating seemed so daunting but as I approached 40 I changed as a person and found strength to be able to stand alone.

My family and friends have all been so supportive in making sure my birthday is special. Have got a lovely meal organised for tomorrow and already been treated to tea at the Ritz. grin

aleene Sat 13-Oct-12 23:17:02

happy birthday! thanks
here's to your new life!

dondon33 Sun 14-Oct-12 06:24:00

Happy Birthday and well done xx

MusicForTheMasses Sun 14-Oct-12 09:11:59

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I too am 40 but didn't know STBXH was actually having an affair until 3 months after my birthday. I remember beinga bit disappointed on my birthday as although we had been out with friends the Saturday before, he didn't have the day off to be with me and I ended up spending most of it on my own as my Mum was ill, friends working etc. When I discovered emails between him and the other woman, I found a love letter he had sent her actually on the morning of my 40th, nice.

My wish is to be free by my 41st, although I already feel like my new life is starting. Sorry for making this all about me lol but what I'm trying to say is yes you are right, it's a great milestone for a new start and a new you. Happy Birthday again. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now