Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Finding family realtionships difficult

(3 Posts)
eileenf Fri 12-Oct-12 22:57:49

This weekend we are going to BIL & family. I find these weekends really difficult. I have no family other than a DS. My parents died realtively young, had an unhappy marriage and family life was quite full of friction. Dh's family are optimists and especially BIL always give the impression that everything is always lovely.

When I first met them I was charmed by all this apparent contentment but now I feel alienated and out of place. As a result I often end up drinking rather too much and wishing I hadn't.

I am just a bit scared about the whole thing.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 13-Oct-12 09:17:44

Most people will be cheery for visitors. It's how they try to make you feel welcome. I'm sure your BIL has problems, same as everyone else, but if they were to spend all weekend moaning and groaning it wouldn't be much fun for their guests. If you find someone else's bonhomie 'scary' and end up drinking too much then I think you should consider seeking help. You may be depressed or you could need something like counselling to explore why you feel so threatened by others' happiness. Perhaps talk to your GP.

amillionyears Sat 13-Oct-12 11:45:09

Do you think they are judging you in some way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now