Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not sure how I feel about this...

(5 Posts)
MamaGeekChic Thu 11-Oct-12 19:55:56

On my own, DD sleeping upstairs and DP is away to his first GA meeting. I'm nervous for him, he looked like a wee boy being sent to his first day of school. I'm vaguely excited, he's been a compulsive gambler for most of the 8yrs we've been together (I'm not sure where the tipping point was). I'm also tearful, sad that this is a part of my/our life. I could cry my heart out for how much pain this addicyion has caused, I'm almost scared to hop that this could be the start of a recovery for him. No idea what I'm looking for, just can't really talk in RL.

Shybairns Thu 11-Oct-12 20:04:48

So pleased that he's going to GA. That's a big step in its self, as you know.
He may need one to one councelling as well to support him through this.
In some ways this is even more of a test on you. Its bound to be one step forward two steps back in this process.

I hope you get all the support you need as well.

ILoveSparklers Thu 11-Oct-12 20:13:16

It's a massive step. Any addiction is immensely difficult to deal with for all concerned.

MamaGeekChic Thu 11-Oct-12 20:22:21

Thanks both, I'm just watching the clock. I don't even really know what happens at the meetings. Just so proud of him for going, esp as he's quite shy, I hope he's ok!

Lizzy1975 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:28:42

That's a great first step for him and for you, too. Most 'anonymous' fellowships have sister fellowships for family and friends to get support - I would imagine there's one for GA too, and you may find it helpful to talk to others who are in the same position as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now