Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

A long, long time of getting told that black is white, and white is black...

(5 Posts)
lobsterclaw Tue 09-Oct-12 18:48:28

...I've been in a long term relationship for ages, now in thirties, it was dysfunctional and he always denied things he'd said to me which was very confusing and has really messed up my head, to be frank.

It turned physical and I've decided to leave but I'm still very fragile, about to go on a course for people in this situation, any other ideas? I really need to become stronger.

arthriticfingers Tue 09-Oct-12 18:52:47

Come and join us.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/1583744-Support-for-those-in-Emotionally-Abusive-Relationship-12

foolonthehill Tue 09-Oct-12 19:29:10

ah, arth you got here first!

The behaviour that you describe is called "gas-lighting" after the film "Gaslight" where a man drives his wife to believing she is insane by denying the evidence of her own senses......

read lots, it will make you feel less alone and less mad (you are not mad) as you remember and process all the things he did. My personal recommendation would be Lundy Bancroft "Why does he do that?-inside the mind of angry and controlling men" which you can order from Amazon

This website is also worth a look www.hiddenhurt.co.uk

And WELL DONE for deciding to get out.

fergoose Tue 09-Oct-12 19:43:11

I agree big well done

Freedom programme is fab, can be done in person or online for free here

www.onespace.org.uk/elearning/courses/freedom-programme

hildebrandisgettinghappier Tue 09-Oct-12 19:45:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now