Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Have I made a fool of myself??

(9 Posts)
nzsammy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:13:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Oct-12 13:28:44

If you were uncomfortable with the frequency and content of texts you were entitled to say so. Trust your instincts. You don't necessarily have to drop him as a friend but I think you did have to redraw the boundaries.

nzsammy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:36:24

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Oct-12 14:14:54

You're embarrassed, he's embarrassed. Whether you've overreacted or whether your judgement was accurate, everyone's a grown-up here and should be able to carry on being polite to each other regardless.

ClippedPhoenix Mon 08-Oct-12 14:24:29

Sounds like he got a bit too in your space there OP. I'd have come to the very same conclusion as you, not sure I'd have text him though, I'd probably have ignored his frequent texts and stood back for a while.

Just be pleasant and friendly when you see him at the party. He's been left under no illusion on how you feel so you're just going to have play it by ear when you come into contact again.

HeathRobinson Mon 08-Oct-12 14:32:50

I don't think you've made a fool of yourself at all. You've just shown him that you're comfortable with a friendly relationship and nothing more.

Surely the fact that he sent an apology text means he possibly was trying to take it further? Otherwise wouldn't he have been outraged or annoyed or irritated or even a little angry, not apologetic?

hoopieghirl Mon 08-Oct-12 18:50:24

Don't think you made a fool of yourself. You set down some boundaries. He is probably feeling a little foolish knowing he over stepped the mark. Just be polite and friendly next time you meet, soon blow over .

bringmeroses Mon 08-Oct-12 18:55:00

The awkwardness will pass, I would have drawn the same conclusions as you and felt the relationship needed redefining. I bet your DH would thank you for making it clear you're attached if he knew another bloke was texting you so often. Ditto this bloke's GF. Hopefully you can have a laugh about it and if he seems less friendly, maybe he's just working out which other mum to get close to. I used to not believe the Men and Women can't be friends thing but in my experience we can be friends with men but in reverse they usuallly start thinking with something besides their brains.

nzsammy Mon 08-Oct-12 20:28:00

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: