Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

3 months in - too soon to expect a bit of commitment?

(11 Posts)
Porceleina Sun 07-Oct-12 14:15:17

Obviously I don't mean marriage but after been with someone for 3 months, is it too soon to expect him to want to meet his family and friends?

He's met a few of mine and although he does introduce me to people he knows when we bump into them, he seems reluctant to properly let me meet anyone. He tells me his mum has been asking questions and he's told her bits and pieces about me but that's it. He said he feels he should let her meet me but it's too soon - yet he thinks it's fine to meet my family and friends?

Should I be concerned or am I expecting too much after just 3 months together?

nkf Sun 07-Oct-12 14:22:23

Three months could be anything though. Twelve dates or already living together. Is it your choice that he meets your friends and family? If so, he can't really say no can he? What is it you want?

Porceleina Sun 07-Oct-12 14:24:22

We spend loads of time together though, 3 nights a week at least and we've just booked glastonbury tickets for next year which suggests he's assuming we'll last - I just don't get why he's so reluctant to let anyone know about us.

dequoisagitil Sun 07-Oct-12 14:26:59

Surely it's that you think it's fine for him to meet your family & friends, not him making that decision? That he's not ready to introduce you to his is up to him.

I think it's a bit odd to be a separate part of his life, but then he does make you known to people, so it's not like he's hiding you away. Being introduced to the mother can be a bit of a big step, so 3 months in - mm, maybe you are rushing things for him.

I'd see what happens in the next few months.

squeakytoy Sun 07-Oct-12 14:27:36

As people have said on your AIBU thread, stop rushing things.. he has children, he is being sensible..

dequoisagitil Sun 07-Oct-12 14:28:30

Oh he's got children? Makes a difference and yes, makes him sensible.

nkf Sun 07-Oct-12 14:28:31

Are you the FB poster?

nkf Sun 07-Oct-12 14:28:58

I mean, the one whose three month boyfriend won't let you post on FB?

Whocansay Sun 07-Oct-12 14:29:25

I would be inclined to treat him in kind and not let him further into your life until he reciprocates. See how he reacts.

Whocansay Sun 07-Oct-12 14:31:18

I can completely understand that he doesn't want to introduce you to his kids though. Its far too soon for that.

attheminutemart Sun 07-Oct-12 15:22:34

Three months is way too early if he has dc. When I was dating DH I didn't introduce him to my dc until after a year, and to the rest of my family after two years. It's not fair on the children to meet every woman he's dating, even if you feel it's a committed relationship now, it's still very early days and nobody can feel sure of the relationship lasting at this stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now