Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

`my ex wants half my business`

(47 Posts)
mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 19:35:02

hello everyone.i`m at my wits end,my ex partner not husband wants to take half my business and half my my investments.he was my employee his position was made redundant and he was paid a redundancy.we also have a daughter together that he rearly sees(his choice) and rarely provides for.does anyone know if he has a claim or not..i`m willing to provide more information

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Tue 02-Oct-12 19:36:48

I can't imagine why he'd be entitled to anything. There's a legal section on MN, though - I think they'd love to get their teeth into this!

How long were you together?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 02-Oct-12 19:46:47

I'd be pretty confident he's not got a hope in hell. Sounds like you're well rid of him though!

mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 19:48:00

we were together 13 yrs. ive been advised to see a mediator to talk wjth him about finances and daughter etc he will do that all day long because he gets legal aid and it will cost me ..you know what ive had enough of this leach over the years now he wants to bleed me dry and he will keep going just to stress me out .thats the kind of person i`m dealing with.iasked him if we could be adult about the split and not course eachother any unnecersary pain his answer was`no`..i rest my case!!

sookiesookie Tue 02-Oct-12 19:49:49

You need legal advice.
You were not married and he isn't your dds to, so I can't see why he would.

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 19:53:05

I'd be seeing a solicitor instead. Find out what he's legally entitled to. Not a mediator whose aim is to help you negotiate a settlement!

mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:00:27

my solicitor and his have advised mediation with the hope of resolve before court..my thing is i would like to stop this at the first meeting if i know for sure he can`t get anything from me. who is advising this man to try take me to the cleaners .oh thats right `the man in the pub`!!

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 20:02:32

What has your solicitor said his legal entitlement is?

I'd just get my facts straight re legal entitlement and let it go to court. I assume you pay your solicitor or someone for these sessions?...

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 20:03:26

Meant to add, I wouldn't be going to mediation cos he wouldn't be getting a penny out of me that I wasn't court ordered to give him!

mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:09:39

i`m hoping he will see sense and let this drop, taking food out of his daughters mouth so to speak. theres a sure thing she won`t benefit from him getting money from me.

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 20:12:16

I doubt it. From what you post, it sounds like his desire to 'punish' you is stronger than any love, thought or consideration he has for his daughter. If he's not that bothered about seeing her or contributing to expenses for her, what makes you think he'll be bothered about financial implications for her?

SirSugar Tue 02-Oct-12 20:20:17

As far as I am aware you only have to attend one mediation session to outline case then you have ticked that box and can move onto court.

Is it a limited company?

SomewhereInCanada Tue 02-Oct-12 20:21:05

Are you a sole trader? Does he have any shares in the business? Was it established before you got together? Sorry to ask, but is the business actually worth anything? Does it have assets or are you trading on goodwill?

Reads like very sour grapes to me. If he was just an employee and provided no financial input then I can't see that he's got any valid claim.

VBisme Tue 02-Oct-12 20:24:16

You need to attend at least one mediation session to show the court you've tried to resolve thsi, just keep saying "but you don't have any claim to my business".
Is your business a limited company, or are you a sole trader?
Definitely get some legal advice.

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Tue 02-Oct-12 20:31:49

Yes, go along to the mediation (he will have to pay towards that - pretty sure that's not covered with legal aid) and just keep saying, "You haven't paid a penny towards our daughter. You have seen our daughter X times in the last year. You were an employee. It was my business. You were made redundant."

If there is anything you can say about his working practices, then say them.

Just a word of advice, in future record what he's saying.

skyebluesapphire Tue 02-Oct-12 20:35:41

I qualified for Legal Aid for mediation, it cost my STBXH £95ph. The sessions were around 1.5 hours and they reckoned 2-3 for us (2 in the end).

My solicitor said that you have to go to mediation before you can go to court, but yes one session, you can say it didnt work, then go to court.

I dont see how he could have much of a claim on the business if he was just an employee... but as your partner, its difficult to know what he is entitled to regarding assets etc.

You need to get decent legal advice on this one.

Feckbox Tue 02-Oct-12 20:36:08

I fail to see why he is legally entitled to ANYTHING? Has he actually presented you with any legal stuff at all?

mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:36:59

its a ltd business.he has had no financial investment.i was trading before we met.ive worked hard to keep my business afloat over the past few years and its still challenging . this is all i need him trying to distroy me( as he has said he will).when he worked for me i asked him to help me cut costs by i.e reducing his use of the company van to drive his mates furniture around(without my permision)etc etc .i just got abuse and disrespected infront of my staff.ive got quite a list but still if he has legal claims on his side then im wasting my time with my stories.

Feckbox Tue 02-Oct-12 20:38:29

Why would he have a legal claim? You are not married

skyebluesapphire Tue 02-Oct-12 20:40:28

I dont see how he can have a claim unless he can prove that he was a major investor or partner. Was he a director, or just an employee?

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Tue 02-Oct-12 20:40:30

Think about it, OP. This is a business he tried to run into the ground (if he's using your petrol/van to drive his mates' furniture around) rather than build up with you.

If he was staying behind after his work finished and spending several hours a night and every weekend helping you build up the business, then I suppose he might have a case. He hasn't done that.

He's confusing himself with a married partner. Tell me, did you ever want to marry and he refused? If so he'll be kicking himself now!

SomewhereInCanada Tue 02-Oct-12 20:42:24

mongy1 thanks for the info. I remain of the opinion he's not entitled to anything. Ask him what makes him think he is. Tell him to jog on.

Feckbox Tue 02-Oct-12 20:45:03

Are you in the UK?

mongy1 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:45:34

thank you all for your advice and for listening to me ..if i told you the extend of the abuse and disrespect this man has shown me over the years you would be agast and wonder why i put up with him for so long.luckily it was rare infront of my daughter. i will repost after the mediation has taken place..watch this space
!!

VBisme Tue 02-Oct-12 20:46:02

He earnt a wage for his contribution to your business. I can't see how he thinks he's entitled to any more.

Does he think he can takes some shares? I doubt that very much........

You need to consult a solicitor, 30 mins free consultation should be long enough to reassure you. I honestly don't think he's got a leg to stand on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now