Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Single parent......first proper 'date' tonight with a man I've met on the internet. Panicking......shall I call it off? What to wear?

(12 Posts)
KidderminsterKate Sat 29-Sep-12 08:31:33

Title says it all really. I've been separated from my husband for 6 years or so and aside from a stupidly bad thought out frolick with a work colleague and sex with the ex (which resulted in DS2) that's been it. Never been interested as life has been hard and stressful.

Anyway, have been speaking to this bloke for about 3 months on msn and on the phone/texts. He's been asking me for ages to meet him but with ds being so young I've refused. Tonight is the night - we're going out for a meal. Don't know where. Kids are going to my parents and I'm taking them there in a few hours. Then I have a few hours so I can go shopping if I decide i need something new to wear. Or should I just call it off??? Can't imagine him being that impressed with me and all my baggage.

Was thinking of wearing navy skinny jeans, grey suede 'shoe boots' and then I've got this charcoal sort of long floaty blouse. But need a coat/ jacket! Choices are a long raincoat, heavy parka or a wool blazer that I wear for work......none of these are right. I do have a long black chunky cardigan I could wear instead?

Oh am in such a flap. If anyone can make sense of my ramblings I'd be most happy. I have time to nip to a smallish out of town shopping centre where theres m&s, next, wallis, monsoon ect if anyone can help.

BunnyLebowski Sat 29-Sep-12 08:43:53

Outfit sounds lovely smile

I was in Primark yesterday and they have these black dressy jersey blazers. Would be perfect? Cheap as chips too!

Do not cancel! Go out and have fun!

RoxyRobin Sat 29-Sep-12 08:59:46

Yes - you have to go!

Now that's decided you should post this in style and beauty where you are likely to be inundated with suggestions, and helpful links. I'm searching out a military coat/jacket for myself - it's a big look this season.

Hope it goes well!

DragonMamma Sat 29-Sep-12 09:00:32

I was going to suggest skinny jeans before I read what you had written. Plus a floaty blouse is great for hiding lumps and bumps when you're sat down.

You'll easily find a blazer in any of those shops, even Tesco and Asda have them. I'd avoid a parka though, avoid the Frank Gallagher look until date 5 at least.

HotDAMNlifeisgood Sat 29-Sep-12 09:16:20

How come you don't know where you are having a meal? Is he picking you up at yours?

From a safety point of view, I would really avoid that, if it's the case. You haven't met this man yet: can you arrange to meet at the dinner location, each with your own mode of transport?

Sensible precautions taken care of: have fun, it's just a date! ie. meeting a new person, with a meal involved. Don't build it up to too big a thing in your mind. It could be great, could be awful, could be middling... Either way, you'll have gone out there and gone on a date, and that's a great step to have taken for your own self-confidence.

nomoreminibreaks Sat 29-Sep-12 09:24:24

Don't call it off! I think a blazer too, maybe with a scarf? I wouldn't wear a cardigan or parka for a few dates yet. Plus you'll get lots of wear out of it with other outfits.

I also second the point that it makes sense to let someone know where you're going, just to be extra safe.

OhWesternWind Sat 29-Sep-12 09:45:18

You are just like me worrying about all this stuff. But honestly, you're not going to put him off by wearing the wrong sort of jacket, really you're not. Wear something that you feel good and comfortable on, for a confidence boost, relax and be yourself and remember, it's only a date!!

Why not come over to the dating thread? It's a bit daunting if you're new on there, I've only been on it a month or so, but everyone's really friendly and Ive had some great support and advice.

KidderminsterKate Sat 29-Sep-12 10:46:21

thanks so much....have calmed down a bit. Bit of housework always does that! Will look for some sort of smartish blazer and perhaps a scarf with grey and another colour. So nervous though!

From a safety perspective - we're meeting in a bar first. he wouldn't say where we were eating - wanted it to be a surprise. But did say it was smart/casual when pressed.

I'll let you know how it goes and will def look out for the dating thread.

skyebluesapphire Sat 29-Sep-12 14:28:33

Hope your date goes well

bubalou Sat 29-Sep-12 16:07:35

Defo agree with the blazer - will go great, love the sound of the outfit.

Go out, be yourself and have an amazing time. X smile

newmum001 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:15:53

New look have a gorgeous quilted leather look jacket in atm. It would look really nice with the outfit you described. Ill have a look now and attempt a link.

newmum001 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:20:12

Cant link on my phone but search black pu quilted chain jacket on the new look website. It will be my next purchase i love it!!! Have a great time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now