Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Really upset my boyfriend last night. Feel guilty and scared I might have really messed up

(12 Posts)
Schema Tue 25-Sep-12 13:33:31

Boyfriend was talking to me last night about something very sensitive and emotional to him. I was comforting him and listening and then caught a glimpse of Richie from Bottom farting flames from his bum and burst out laughing shock I immediately apologised and explained what I was laughing at but he cut the night short soon after and I've not heard much from him since.

What should I do next? I sent him another apology this morning by text, do I leave it now or keep on apologising until I get a response?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Sep-12 13:37:48

Leave it. It was a bit daft leaving the telly switched on when going for sensitive emotional conversations. You've apologised.... ball is in his court now.

ClippedPhoenix Tue 25-Sep-12 13:45:03

You've apologised twice now OP. Leave it.

fluffyraggies Tue 25-Sep-12 13:52:18

Oh sad

To be fair on you OP that is one sight that i would really have trouble not laughing at in even the most dire situation if i caught a glimpse of it on the telly smile

Has he def. received the text yet? Perhaps he hasn't?

bluebird68 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:47:22

leave it for a few days. If I was your boyfriend i'd be so hurt i'd need time alone .It was a bad move leaving the TV on as proper listening involves your full attention which it doesn't sound like he got. If you've otherwise had a good relationship of some time then he will probably forgive. If you hear nothing in the next few days try again, maybe this time by sending a gift to say sorry that he would really appreciate.

tzella Tue 25-Sep-12 15:08:53

My bf and I were once doing some intense eye-gazing smooching on the sofa when some nonsense on the television caught my eye so I looked blush His reaction was to ostentatiously turn to look at the telly every time I went in for a snog for the next few weeks grin

It became a very silly private joke. Point is; he didn't sulk about it.

bluebird68 Tue 25-Sep-12 15:58:36

depends what OPs bf was telling her. If he was telling her he'd been abused or how much he missed a parent who had died maybe he has a right to feel upset. Why is it sulking?

tzella Tue 25-Sep-12 16:00:19

It does depend, of course.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Sep-12 16:49:00

"he has a right to feel upset. Why is it sulking? "

Everyone has a right to feel offended but doing the silent treatment thing is not mature. If he wants to dump the OP over this he should come out and say it...

izzyizin Tue 25-Sep-12 17:00:21

Why do people initiate conversations of a sensitive nature, or are to do with matters that are of importance to them, without first turning off the goggle box?

If a casual conversation should develop into a debate of an emotional nature, surely someone has the nous to get up and turn the damn set off and turn any music way down?

bluebird68 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:08:27

well then i'm obviously childish and not mature. speaking as a very sensitive person when i've been very hurt or am upset i need time to process my thoughts. If i were living with a partner then I wouldn't ignore them but neither would i feel ready to know exactly how i felt about events that had happened just the night before- i certainly wouldn't know if i wanted to break up with them especially if up until then things had been ok. If i did not live with the person who hurt me then I would probably be quieter than usual and might say something along the lines of "i need some time alone to think" or "i'm upset right now, sorry but i need some alone time". People are different and its just as bad to badger someone into a response as it is to be silent. Op hasn't even said her bf has been silent just that she hasn't heard much from him- and it only happened last night!

Proudnscary Tue 25-Sep-12 17:26:24

If I'd did this to my dh or he to me, and the other sincerely apologised afterwards, the matter would be dropped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now