Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

First date with your DH...

(51 Posts)
ValerieDavis Tue 18-Sep-12 14:47:46

Friend of mine recently told me about the first date she had with her DH (and it was a disaster!) - what was the first date like that you went on with your DH?

EvenBetter Tue 18-Sep-12 14:54:18

It was pretty shite, not dramatically so, but still....
We went to 2 pubs, everyone he's ever worked with arrived too. He broke his phone while sitting awkwardly on a bench and for the next few weeks had to read my texts backwards, letter by letter on the fraction of screen that still worked.

One of his colleagues sent him a picture message of her cleavage-she was sitting with us and I was beside him.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Sep-12 14:59:26

Me and my DH had a really mediocre borderline shite first date. Went to some pub on the south bank (he had offered to take me out for a nice meal but my IBS plays up in those type of situations blush)..halfway through our drinks I became aware a rat was nibbling at my toe (had flip flops on). Then some very drunk tramp guy came in and started shouting at us, had to be forcibly removed..

The conversation was very awkward as we'd been flirting at work for ages and then, on the date, it was sort of 'official' that we fancied each other and it was strained.

Had it not been for the fact that i hadn't had sex for 6 months prior to the date I defo wouldn't have gone on another date! I thought I might as well give it another go as there was no other shag on the horizon

9 years later,married, one DS and another on the way!

Pudgy2011 Tue 18-Sep-12 15:11:44

We live overseas and DH took me to an awkward bar called "Bed" (where all the booths are beds obviously) - we were the only people in there at the time. He then told me his age (5 years younger than me). Not keen on dating younger men, I decided it probably wouldn't go anywhere but he was ridiculously good looking and therefore I would entertain him for the evening.

We headed to dinner at a restaurant on the water and over caribbean curry, it emerged that we both had an intense love of Greggs steak bakes (being expats, this is the staple hangover food we both miss!) - I could practically see the invisible hearts and birds spinning around his head cartoon style.

Anyway at the end of the date he demonstrated his considerable kissing skills - so we went on our second date the following evening which lasted the entire weekend.

Nearly 5 years, a wedding, a house, 2 dogs and a 1 year old DS later and I don't know where the time went.

shartsi Tue 18-Sep-12 15:19:07

He took me to watch Carmen the opera. Since then we have had 2 DDs and out first DD is called Carmen.

snigger Tue 18-Sep-12 15:23:01

He took me to a fish and chip shop with his name on it (oh har, har-de-har, har) then to our actual meal at an Indian restaurant, followed by dessert at the local much loved ice-cream place, followed by a walk on the beach.

It was alright, but he wore the crappest shirt ever. I kept it, as a momento, to prove to my future children that substance can win over style.

Fooso Tue 18-Sep-12 15:29:50

He kept looking at his watch (so I thought) so I thought bad date he's not interested - it turned out his hairs on his arms get caught in it and he was shaking his arm to get them out! 3 years on - live together, happily, with our 3 children (1 mine, 2 his)

Williamisoverrated Tue 18-Sep-12 15:33:15

What about the second date out? Mine took me to see 'Damage' with Dame Jeremy Irons having a lot of awkward bearing down heavy sex with (or better on) the fragrant Juliette Binoche. Boy, were we both shell shocked. Still together though.

modifiedmum Tue 18-Sep-12 15:34:38

Mine was rubbish. I lived 70 odd miles away and my mate put me on some rubbish dating website (POF) as i'd been going out for months in my home town and it was the case of same old, same old. Anyway got chatting to an attractive man but tbh i just saw it as an excuse to get away for the weekend and thought it would be a case of yeah that was fun, lots of sex but now its over. Didn't particuarly have any strong feelings or inklings he might be special, just thought he was fit. Spent the weekend together having a bbq, drinking etc then he dropped me home but kept texting so i decided to meet up again, apparentely for him he knew i was the "one" straight away, took me a few months but am happy now smile

NoWayNoHow Tue 18-Sep-12 15:35:08

He took me to a pizzeria then to a swanky hotel bar, then to a place with river views. He was impressed that I knew how many episodes of Faulty Towers there had been, I was impressed by his moonlight kiss on Waterloo Bridge.

We told each other EVERYTHING that night, all our skeletons in the closet, giving each other the get out opportunity, I guess.

We were engaged 5 months later, marriedanother 7 months after that, and celebrate our 7 yrs this month, with A DS in the deal too.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Tue 18-Sep-12 15:35:21

We went to a little pub that looked lovely from the outside, but once indoors we discovered it was somewhat reminiscent of the Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf in London.

The regulars glared at us and no one spoke apart from one man who told us to be quiet because he was watching snooker on the tv. Charming place, can't imagine why we didn't go back grin

karatekimmi Tue 18-Sep-12 15:36:59

The first official date was fairly boring, dinner in the local pub/restaurant. We met in a night club him trying to steal my "champagne", the second time we met up it ended with me say on his kitchen floor with glass in my foot, a carving knife in hand. He very kindly looked after me and took the glass out!

NoillyPrat Tue 18-Sep-12 15:41:02

We had our first date in a lovely old thatched roofed pub. We just had a couple of drinks and talked and talked for hours. It was like we were old friends. We had a great time. That was nearly 5 years ago now. It'll be our second wedding anniversary in December and we have bought our own house together and have a lovely but rather stupid cat smile

ilovemyteddies Tue 18-Sep-12 15:42:12

@ shartsi

What a BEAUTIFUL name Carmen is, that's lovely smile

Purplehonesty Tue 18-Sep-12 15:43:54

We went to a town an hour away for dinner and ended up staying in a hotel all weekend.
Still go back to the restaurant for anniversaries ten years and two kids later!

GoldandOrangeAnnunziata Tue 18-Sep-12 15:45:44

Hilarious, I was 14 and he was 16, and we went to see Footloose. I was so ridiculously excited the whole time because he was sitting next to me... I can't remember anything about that movie... just OH he moved his leg! OH he moved his fingers! AH he just put his arm around me blush

I remember coming home and everyone saying, what you grinning like that for? Is it love? I must have looked like this: grin

But my favourite memory is sneaking into my sister's bed at night (don't know how I kept it in that long!) and whispering X kissed me to her. Those were the days!

cat Tue 18-Sep-12 15:48:33

There was no first date blush

DH was a friend of a friend and randomly turned up to a party at my flat.

He never left grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 18-Sep-12 15:49:12

He's not the 'H' - complicated - but his arrival was predicted by a wrinkly old fortune teller at the Psychic Fayre my bonkers gullible spiritual friend dragged me along to. <Disclaimer: Not my normal thing at all> Turning over a tarot card showing a knight in a purple cloak (which happened to match the purple jumper I was wearing) she declared that there was an important man about to enter my life. Sadly, in this neck of the Home Counties, knights in purple cloaks are a bit thin on the ground. So imagine my surprise the day I agreed to a blind date and he turned up on the doorstep complete with a bottle of champagne and wearing... yes, you guessed it... a purple shirt. I still remember the look of pure fear & confusion in his eyes as I squawked... "The purple cloak!!! It's you!!!"

Xiaoxiong Tue 18-Sep-12 15:52:39

We sat next to each other on a plane and after hours of close quarters flirting I "accidentally" rested my head on his shoulder and he "accidentally" put his hand on my thigh. (I did know him for months before that but this was the first move). Then a couple of nights later we went to the pub with about 50 of our closest friends and went dancing afterwards, my ex was there and tried to punch him blush Somehow, in that mysterious way that happens when you're students, we went from flirting to being a couple without ever "dating" in between. Can't believe that was nearly seven years ago and we now have a 9 month old DS!

monsterchild Tue 18-Sep-12 16:04:25

First date was rather cliche. Nice guy, I thought, very sweet.

It wasn't until the second date that I really fell in love. He took me to see an indie film "Pig Hunt." A monder day King Kong with, you guessed it, a 4000 lb mutant hog as the gorilla. Complete with orgiastic hippy cult, hillbillies, pot farmers and PTSD war veterans.

We were married a year later.

nipersvest Tue 18-Sep-12 16:07:36

i was 17, it was his 18th birthday (christmas eve), he called round for me, we went out for a walk, back to his and watched a xmas movie on tv (this was 1987), his mum joined us and fell asleep in the armchair. he was very embarrassed but of course she is now my much loved mil grin

I made an arse of myself because I got drunk and he's t total and I can't put with a load of bollocks that wasn't true and made me look bad, no idea why!

(p.s having recently recounted this tale to a friend I'm worrying I know the op!!!)
confused

Thumbwitch Tue 18-Sep-12 16:11:35

I'm not sure - difficult to pick which one was the actual first date! DH was my lodger; we went out as friends/cohabitees a few times before anything developed between us, so I couldn't say which one was the first "proper date". We did have some fun though! grin

pegster Tue 18-Sep-12 16:29:50

Met speed dating. First 'date' arranged 10 days later. We met up in a pub at midday on a Sunday lunchtime. Were getting on well, decided to go for a walk and find somewhere to eat. Turned into a boozy all day pub crawl and he staggered onto the last train home at midnight - a brilliant start to a fantastic relationship (now marriage) of 6 years and counting

4aminsomniac Tue 18-Sep-12 16:52:20

We were messaging each other via a dating site, then talking on the phone, then he invited me to his boat (where he was living) in France for the weekend! So our first date was dinner in a farmhouse walled garden ...

My friends thought I was mad as I had never meet him, but I just had a good feeling .. Together 13 years now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now