Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What does "being in a relationship" mean to you?

(20 Posts)
WindyandWet Thu 16-Aug-12 13:26:09

Just curious, really. Am in an interesting situation with a friend which I would count as "being in a relationship" with him but he wouldn't. Don't know what he thinks would be different if we were.

So I was just wondering what the term meant to other people.

lubeybooby Thu 16-Aug-12 13:28:02

wanting to exclusively be together as a couple due to having feelings for each other.

if the above applies then i would say that was being in a relationship.

LoveHandles88 Thu 16-Aug-12 13:56:37

Monogamy, commitment, compromise and communication, and of course feelings for each other!

Mumsyblouse Thu 16-Aug-12 13:58:25

If he doesn't think you are in a relationship, you are not. It's a mutual agreement, otherwise you are just in FWB situation in which you would like more.

Krumbum Thu 16-Aug-12 14:11:39

Both wanting to be in a relationship.

MissFaversam Thu 16-Aug-12 14:37:38

Sounds like he wants it to stay more of a FWB thing? He doesn't want monogomy.

amillionyears Thu 16-Aug-12 15:47:51

I could be right in thinking it means different things to different people,depending on what age they are.
My children are now at an age where they and their friends date,and there seems to be new words and terminology involved around the whole thing.
op,are you and your friend different ages?

mercury7 Thu 16-Aug-12 16:00:34

I'd say both parties agreeing that it's a relationship would be a minimum requirement!

Dahlen Thu 16-Aug-12 16:10:33

Loss of freedom wink

MissFaversam Thu 16-Aug-12 16:26:13

ditto Dahlen at the moment grin

Natashak Fri 17-Aug-12 00:25:01

having feeling for eachother two people have to want it to be in the relationship. willing to compromise. try to understand the other person point of view even if you dont agree always be willing to listen. having trust and faith is also a very good start.

maristella Fri 17-Aug-12 00:27:09

Monogamy and a desire for a future together

GentleLentilWeaver Fri 17-Aug-12 09:33:57

Agreeing and wanting to be together - a mutual understanding that you are a couple. And usually agreeing boundaries i.e not seeing other people, or if open relationship, what is and isn't acceptable.
I would have said being in love or loving each other very much as well though I suppose there are lots of LTRs where that isn't the case, sadly.

TheCunningStunt Fri 17-Aug-12 09:40:26

Both choosing to be mutually exclusive and be in a relationship. Planning a utile together....

MissFaversam Fri 17-Aug-12 19:51:04

A "healthy" relationshipto me now means two people coming together who are different yet equal.

solidgoldbrass Fri 17-Aug-12 20:32:38

Having had a discussion about monogamy and whether or not you want/expect it and where the boundaries lie for you. Before that, though, an expectation that you will spend time with each other regularly ie at the end of one evening/afternoon/shag it's not wierd or outrageous for either one of you to say something like 'What shall we do tomorrow/next week'?

If it consists of amicable but never-discussed bumping into each other in the pub every couple of Saturdays and going to his or yours for a shag, it's not a couple-relationship and there are no 'rights' on either side.

HecateLarpo Mon 15-Oct-12 13:19:52

Agreeing that you are in a relationship. you cannot unilaterally decide that you are in a relationship with someone.

If they disagree - you ain't in one. End of story.

Only crazy stalkers decide they're in a relationship with someone without that person agreeing to it! grin

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 15-Oct-12 13:36:38

OH, that explains the other weird thread then.

HecateLarpo Mon 15-Oct-12 13:38:15

It does, rather. grin

Chandon Mon 15-Oct-12 13:46:14

how come you don't agree on this? In that case, i'd say, it is not a relationship in the "normal" sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now