Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

social services taken my son

(57 Posts)
amanda1989 Wed 01-Aug-12 12:34:44

hi about 3 months ago my ex partner took my 4 year old boy to the hospital due to a bruise on his head, i told the father he had head butted the wall that morning and that he had the worse tantrum hes ever had. that night i get a phone call saying that the doctors have rang social services and im being investigated. they took pictures of my child and said there was 14 unexplained injuries. i told the social services that my son has done the bruises himself- for some reason he pulls his ears and headbutts things when on naughty step i was planning to take to the doctors on the monday after it happened. plus the other bruises where when he has fell over and banged himself like kids do but he is very accident prone.the social put me on supervised visits in a centre two hours a week and my son went to live with his dad
the police were involved and i was questioned about the bruises after 3 months the police came back and said they are not charging as i was not guilty, however the social still think someone has done these injuries and he wud remain on achild protection plan and would not go back with me.they have told the dad to apply for a residency order which he has done for 100%. i am still on supervised visits, however i went to speak to the father about it and we argued he called the police and now the social have stopped my visits. my ex partner lies about everything and anything i say they do not believe. i can not afford to miss out on another 3 months of my sons life while they wait for court, i brought him up for 3 and half years on my own. is there any advice anyone can give me

Olympia2012 Wed 01-Aug-12 12:40:41

Any cafcass involvement yet?

CogitoErgOlympics Wed 01-Aug-12 12:41:54

I think you need legal representation and should consult CAB, a solicitor, or both. Social services is a very powerful body and one person on their own - especially if others are against them - is not going to get very far.

ErikNorseman Wed 01-Aug-12 13:10:30

You should have the opportunity to undergo assessments of your parenting and be given the chance to make changes before they simply decide he won't be returning to you. However, 14 unexplained injuries is a lot and does give good reason to believe that someone has caused them deliberately.
If it is going to court then you need legal representation - do you have that?
Did you approach the father to talk about contact outside of the agreements in place? That was a mistake. You should always comply with the agreements in place, it doesn't reflect well if you don't.

Olympia2012 Wed 01-Aug-12 13:12:45

Is your son continuing to get injuries and bruises whilst in dads care as well?

GrasshopperNchipmunk Wed 01-Aug-12 13:13:31

This sounds really strange that your contact has been stopped completely.

Have you got a solicitor? You need one that specialises in family law, ASAP.

If you feel like your not getting answers from your social worker, try their manager, or ring the safeguarding unit and speak to the child protection co-ordinator who chaired the last child protection review.

Are you still attending all the meetings regarding your son? Reviews, core groups etc?

izzyizin Wed 01-Aug-12 13:25:40

You say that your ex partner has applied for a residency order? Have you got a date for the Hearing?

Do you have a solicitor or other legal representation? If not, you need to consult a solicitor who specialises in family and children's law and who is well-versed in litigating against Social Services.

PLEASE don't just go to your nearest High Street solicitor - you need a specialist. If you pm me and let me know your nearest town/city I'll send you details of suitable solicitors in your location.

amanda1989 Wed 01-Aug-12 19:17:33

i live in the knowsley area, i do have solicitor who is applying for residency however the social services have said they are now supporting him with a interim care order. my son should not be living with him. my ex partner has been denied legal aid for residency order. my son does still get bruises in his fathers care but his dad explain where they are from such as he fell over or hit the wall and they believe him.but not me when i said in the beginning where his bruises are from. my son is confused and recently broke down infront of his nan saying that the people in the centre have took my mummy away,i love my mummy when can live with my mum and she didnt do them bruises.this was told the the ss and didnt believe us

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Wed 01-Aug-12 19:29:52

amanda1989 Sun 05-Aug-12 14:49:21

social services have now issued care proceedings but are only allowing me to see my son 3 hours a week in a supervised centre. surely this unfair. apparently there is going to be a find a fact hearing- however no one has done these injuries its all resulted from when my boy is put on the naughty step he kicks off and head butts the walls and pulls his ears behaviour which i thought the social could help me control instead they have done the opposite and took him, this is emotionally affecting my son and me , my bond between my son is hardly there and does not understand why he cant come back home with me i am at the point of nearly losing my home due to all my benefits being stopped, iam working 7 days a week and i am at the point of giving up.i am ill everday, its been 4 months without having my son and im wondering if i go the doctors whether the social will hold that against me.
cafcass are also involved

shiftinglard Sun 05-Aug-12 14:59:50

14 injuries of a non accidental nature is a lot. You need to gather evidence that these were self inflicted. Has he done this in front of other people? Has he done it at school? Have you talked about it to anyone in the past? How about your health visitor or school nurse - have you discussed his behaviour with them?

anairofhopeFORGOLD Sun 05-Aug-12 15:02:58

What is Cafcass?

amanda1989 Sun 05-Aug-12 15:05:47

the injuries are mainly small bruises and scratches , no broken bones or anything hes been to school with his brusised ears no one has said anything. i did mention to his dad but he ignored me but is suddenly concerned now. i was planning to go to the doctors as the tantrum was the worse he has ever done head butting the wall

anairofhopeFORGOLD Sun 05-Aug-12 15:07:46

What were the 14 injures? Was it just bruies on this kness from falling over or were they all over his body?

Or were they cuts and scratches?

anairofhopeFORGOLD Sun 05-Aug-12 15:09:57


solidgoldbrass Sun 05-Aug-12 15:11:15

Has your son ever been assessed for development/MH issues or ASD? There are some conditions which mean that kids do bash themselves about and it's likely that the fact-finding hearing will look into this.

anairofhopeFORGOLD Sun 05-Aug-12 15:14:12

You need to get everything in writing and get a laywer.

ChopstheDuck Sun 05-Aug-12 15:24:02

Did a paediatrician assess the injuries? Tbh they can tell the difference between accidental and non accidental injuries, and whether they were caused by an adult or a child hand. It's usually the placement and size of the marks that arouses suspicion. If you haven't hurt your child, then somebody else has, and you need to find out who.

lauratheexplorer Sun 05-Aug-12 15:30:45

I agree with the posters upthread. You need to get all of this in writing and get a good solicitor. Can you not get a written statement from the doctor in A&E who assessed your son? Doctor's can usually tell the difference between self inflicted injuries and injuries caused to the child and you'll need it written if the doctor's opinion differs from that of social services.

ImperialBlether Sun 05-Aug-12 15:34:11

It can be very difficult for people to 'get a good solicitor'. Would the OP be able to get this on legal aid? If not, it might be impossible for her to manage.

ImperialBlether Sun 05-Aug-12 15:36:30

I agree with solidgoldbrass. The problems the OP's son has are consistent with some other problems that he might have. Hopefully, if her son has a full medical assessment things might become clearer then.

amanda1989 Sun 05-Aug-12 15:37:16

he has never been assessed, however there is a underlying blood condition in our family which means the blood clots more and that you bruise more easily due to platelets (i think that is the name) being closer to the skin
the are scratches and little tiny bruises on the ears these equate to 7 injuries - where hes pulled them, large bruise on his head where he butted the wall, two little bruises on the bottom of the back where he fell into the corner of my bed as it has hard wooden edges. one on his bum-where obviously he has fell back on himself. a tiny bruise on his thigh,little bruises on his shins which they have said are consistent with normal bruises on a child but have still included.
a scratch on his left cheek which i caused when i picked him up in the middle of the night when he was being sick.small bruise on his cheek which i cant explain but he was in his fathers care aswell during that week so has probably come from there but he will not say. as my solicitor said she can not see why i am the only one being investigated. the doctor said is was highly unlikely that he could of caused the injuries himself as they are on soft tissue which is harder to bruise, but my boy is strong for his age

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Sun 05-Aug-12 15:38:58

how do you explain the injuries OP, and what were they?
Is your son still aquiring unexplained injuries now he is with his father?

ChopstheDuck Sun 05-Aug-12 15:40:01

They should have done blood tests to rule out underlying blood conditions as part of procedure.

I've been in this position, my son was blood tested, fully examined and x rayed from head to toe.

amanda1989 Sun 05-Aug-12 15:40:25

he has not yet been tested for the blood condition as the social wont do it as they are happy with what tests the doctors have done. however its a special blood test and will not show up in normal testing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: