Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My friend's dw has just announced she wants a separation. How can i support him?

(7 Posts)
nowwearefour Fri 21-Oct-11 20:37:59

He has moved back in with his parents and his whole world has fallen in around him. They have no dcs. I just dont know how best to support him. any ideas?

Be there for him, an ear if he wants to talk. Just ask how he's holding up, let him know that you're around if he needs you.

Punkatheart Fri 21-Oct-11 23:06:51

Poor soul. Well he has a head start - a sensitive friend. Listen to him (even if he goes over the same ground again and again) Keep in lots of contact - distract him with company, things to do, trips out.

I am in the same situation and I can tell you that contact from friends made the difference from hope or despair.

Make sure he eats well and doesn't turn to alcohol too much.

Sending him sympathy. Bloody hell it feels horrible.

izzywhizzysfritenite Sat 22-Oct-11 00:20:32

Try not to engage in a bitchfest about her as there's always the possibility that they may reconcile and, although he may forget the not-so-complimentary things he's said about her, he won't forget what you've said.

nowwearefour Sat 22-Oct-11 18:20:40

I work with his dw so cant be too negative about her. i do hope there is smoe hope of reconciliation- her reason was that she just inst in love with him any more, though, so it does seem like a hard one to change someone's mind on. i am meant to be seeing him for lunch next week- he isnt taking phone calls and didnt want to meet up today (even me driving all round there). i invitied him here but with the dcs etc i dont think he could face it.

Adversecamber Sun 23-Oct-11 14:20:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nowwearefour Sun 23-Oct-11 20:41:44

thanks for advice adverse.... our poor poor friends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now