Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If this was you talking about your OH, how would you finish the sentence...

(25 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Fri 21-Oct-11 13:15:28

(Context: he works shifts does a fair bit of overtime and enjoys volunteering in the community).

"I'd just really like him to be home more so that..."

headfairy Fri 21-Oct-11 13:18:18

we can do fun things together as a family

sheeplikessleep Fri 21-Oct-11 13:25:34

we get to see him more

KnitterNotTwitter Fri 21-Oct-11 13:27:49

i don't have to do all the dull jobs myself (housework, laundry, cooking etc..)

Makiko Fri 21-Oct-11 13:33:46

Message withdrawn

PrimaBallerina Fri 21-Oct-11 13:37:21

I could go out more

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Fri 21-Oct-11 14:05:13

We could just "chat"

he could clear up the cat sick that I have been ignoring in the conservatory!grin

(in my defence I'm ill in bed and only spotted it when staggering to the kitchen!)

Theala Fri 21-Oct-11 14:15:51

We could shag more.

I would never actually say this to anyone though. hmm

LemonPeel Fri 21-Oct-11 14:20:18

he can live in the real world

NormanBatesTheForeman Fri 21-Oct-11 14:22:35

His ds actually gets to see him.

witchyhills Fri 21-Oct-11 14:35:54

so we could argue some more sad
well you did ask!

pixiestix Fri 21-Oct-11 14:41:00

I could fucking STOP for a second.

Astronaut79 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:41:37

I feel like I actually have an OH.

He could do some of the hard/boring/frustrating stuff instead of being an adult (at work); feeling valued (volunteering).

takingbackmonday Fri 21-Oct-11 14:43:18

Oh I don't at all

DoMeDon Fri 21-Oct-11 14:58:38

I felt as important as the other stuff.

jumpforjoy Fri 21-Oct-11 16:22:45

Ditto Astronaut

upahill Fri 21-Oct-11 16:24:12

he can relax and spend time on himself and enjoy things that he wants to do.

LeoTheLateBloomer Fri 21-Oct-11 16:47:07

Thanks!

Since the end of my shockingly dysfunctional marriage I've become a bit of a relationship observer to try and get a picture of what a 'normal' relationship is like.

My friend said the sentence I mentioned in the OP and finished with "...he could help." It made me quite sad that she said that. She's always going on about needing him to do stuff around the house; she never talks about wanting to do things as a family/spend time with him because she enjoys his company apart from when she wants to ttc DC2.

I suppose I just hope that one day if I were to say that sentence it would end with "so we can spend some time together". <soppy mare>

Makiko Fri 21-Oct-11 17:58:43

Message withdrawn

Makiko Fri 21-Oct-11 18:01:37

Message withdrawn

headfairy Fri 21-Oct-11 18:05:10

It's not soppy to want those things smile I think the nicest days we've had as a family have been when in desperation to escape a descent in to whinging and bickering (the kids that is, not dh and I) we've gone to a park or the seaside to fly a kite. It's so much nicer when we're all there, if only because it's such hard work looking after two toddlers on your own I end up yelling at them and getting all stressy. Having my wing man there makes the day all the more relaxed and fun.

glastocat Fri 21-Oct-11 19:47:37

We can hang out as a family. We already do though, we are lucky to work 9 to 5 with a 10 minute commute.

Rowgtfc72 Fri 21-Oct-11 23:06:04

Dp and I work opposite shifts. Mon to Fri we see each other for 45mins at dinner and then an hour at ten pm when he comes home. He works till two every other Sat, the other he does nights so sleeps till two. He works every Sunday he can usually till oneish. Occasionally it would be nice not to feel like a single parent! Time together is precious time even if it is just spent with me, him and dd snuggling on the sofa !

hmc Fri 21-Oct-11 23:13:46

...we might actually have some sort of meaningful relationship, rather than him being knackered and distracted and zoned out in front of Sky Sports half asleep all the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now