Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My head is in turmoil - can't make decisions - which should I choose?

(16 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Mon 10-Oct-11 20:33:19

This is a huge decision for dh and I, we have gone so far done the road but I'm having doubts so here goes:

Option 1
Small detatched house
Nice, quiet area
15 miles from my permanent job (v hard to get/worked v hard)
No family close/family live 90 miles away
DH shift work
See DH every day
No real commute
Future child care will be expensive (32 now and would like dc)

Or

Option 2
Fabulous house in country (am totally seduced by the house)
Family close so could help with future child care
DH job not certain to last on ongoing basis (depends on euro)
Have to commute 180 miles per day or stay away during the week
Will miss dh dreadfully
Will only be in new house at weekends if stay over close to work during week

We are sale agreed on our house and I feel can't let the buyers down.

I am shaking and feel under pressure to make a decision.

What should I choose? Which options sounds the best? Any wise people out there?

HelpMeChoose Mon 10-Oct-11 20:36:04

Option 1 smile

Uglymush Mon 10-Oct-11 20:38:33

If you want a family IMO it has to be option 1. childcare may end up being expensive but I know I couldn't do an 180 mile commute and bring up a child. Think of your long term family life

Kayano Mon 10-Oct-11 20:42:20

Option 1.

Strangedays Mon 10-Oct-11 20:42:53

Option 1

Proudnreallyveryscary Mon 10-Oct-11 20:43:23

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Oh and

1

Muddlewitch Mon 10-Oct-11 20:43:43

I would say option 1 if it has to be one of them.

If you are not 100% happy with it though, then neither. I completely understand what you mean about not upsetting the buyers, but you can't make a life changing decision just to not upset complete strangers smile

Are you sure you want either of them? Any chance of something between the two? hmm

RandomMess Mon 10-Oct-11 20:44:18

Option 1 without a doubt

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 10-Oct-11 20:44:33

option 1

LeBOF Mon 10-Oct-11 20:44:43

1

Pinkflipflop Mon 10-Oct-11 20:45:13

What do I do about the buyers who are so lovely and really want our house?

We haven't signed anything - can we pull out of the sale?

ManicPanic Mon 10-Oct-11 20:46:07

Are you crazy? Option 2!

Easy way to tell what you really want:

Flip a coin. If it is heads and you feel really disappointed it wasn't tails - well there's your decision. If it's heads and you jump up, shout 'yes!' and punch the air, well there you go!

What a lovely choice to have to make!

Pinkflipflop Mon 10-Oct-11 20:46:42

Between the 2 not an option as we agreed to sell our house at a really low price as we were buying the fabulous country house at a great price (belongs to parents)

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 10-Oct-11 20:55:57

Until you've exchanged contracts you can pull out of the sale.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 10-Oct-11 21:36:36

As you're planning to have dc sooner rather than later (presumably in the next 3 years) I'd go for option 2 because you're in love with the house and you'll have support close at hand when you have pfb plus I think you'll be dissatisfied if you settle for option 1.

The downside is that you'll be staying away from your new home during the week but maybe you can negotiate working at home now and again or working flexitime so that you do more hours Mon-Thurs and leave earlier on Fridays.

ScareyFairenuff Mon 10-Oct-11 21:37:26

Option 1

because

with Option 2 the commute would be an expensive nightmare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now