Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Words of wisdom? Got to have the talk tomorrow...

(4 Posts)
dizzykizzy Fri 07-Oct-11 22:06:31

I have an opportunity to spend a few hours alone with my H tomorrow. The conversation I had with him today confirmed my fears that he won't do anything to help so I am going to tell him that I've had enough and want to separate.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom that might help me get through it with grace and dignity.

ShowerGel Fri 07-Oct-11 22:18:42

To maintain grace and dignity: don't cry or scream.
Think/hum Gloria Gaynor 'I will survive'.
Then when on your own, you can collapse in a heap, swear into cushions and stamp your feet.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 07-Oct-11 22:20:43

Oh gosh, I agree with ShowerGel about not screaming, or shouting. Crying is OK though and you probably won't be able to help it.
You might just find the shock of it makes him change his ways. Perhaps.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 07-Oct-11 22:32:49

Grace under pressure? Keep your voice well-modulated and your tone reasonable.

Resist any temptation to allow your inner fishwife to emerge by resolving to tell h how you feel/how it's going to be without using the words 'sorry' and 'but'.

These two words are so over-used that you'll find that you need to concentrate on what you're saying and slow your speech down while you search for alternatives - this gives the listener the impression that you are thinking about what they are saying while carefully considering your responses/choice of words.

I've fooled many into believing that I'm a very reasonable soul by excluding 'sorry' and 'but' from my conversations with others and, in general, I avoid the use of the word 'sorry' except where someone has died.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now