Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

We need to teach our daughters...and remind ourselves...

(15 Posts)
SirSugar Tue 04-Oct-11 18:51:55

The difference between a man who flatters her and a man who compliments her

A man who spends money on her and a man who invests in her

A man who views her as a property and a man who views her properly

A man who lusts after her and a man who loves her

A man who believes he is Gods gift and a man who remembers a woman was (and still is ) Gods gift to man

And by the same token we need to teach our sons to love, appreciate and honour women.

(not my personal sentiments though fitting nonetheless )

WinduhPAYNE Tue 04-Oct-11 19:04:17

boak

WinduhPAYNE Tue 04-Oct-11 19:13:27

I think we should ensure our sons and daughters have appropriate self esteem, and confidence.

They need treat friends/partners as individuals with their own wishes, dreams and self determination.

A relationship has mutuality, respect, kindness and love in abundance. If a relationship does not make you happy then that is sufficient reason for change.

<End of sermon>

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 04-Oct-11 19:18:46

Don't like that bit about woman being "God's gift to Man" as if we are pretty little playthings.
Get where you're coming from, though.

southeastastra Tue 04-Oct-11 19:35:28

have you had alot of bad experiences with men op hmm

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Oct-11 19:41:19

I thought that was awful! Did you copy and paste it from a website?

BBwannaB Tue 04-Oct-11 19:49:58

This is going around facebook in the States among christian communities, hence the somewhat saccharine flavour

WinduhPAYNE Tue 04-Oct-11 19:54:54

I particularly dislike "A man who spends money on her and a man who invests in her"

Investing in her, so at some point he wants a return of some sort. Yuck.

Earn your own money, pay your way, be beholden to no one.

solidgoldbrass Tue 04-Oct-11 20:00:33

It's also very important to teach our DC that heterosexuality isn't compulsory, that sex should be fun for everyone participating in it, and that being single is better than being in all but the most truly wonderful relationships.

Oh and convincing them that there are no gods will serve them well throughout their lives as well.

MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 20:05:35

Agree but sometimes you have to learn things yourself, the hard way...

WinduhPAYNE Tue 04-Oct-11 20:08:20

Very true SGB.

PeppermintPasty Tue 04-Oct-11 20:11:00

I may be being naive and projecting madly on to my dc's, but I think it's important to tell them they are loved every day, that they must think about others, be true to themselves, and know that they are great creatures who can do almost anything. Encouraging them daily to discover themselves and know they are loved. All the things I wish my mother had done with and for me.

Mind you, a very wise and compassionate woman said to me recently that you can strive to be the kind of mother you wanted your mother to be to you, but you have to remember that you may not be the mother they want you to be.

Sorry, bit off topic there.

AgentProvocateur Tue 04-Oct-11 20:12:47

Love SGB's sentiments.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 04-Oct-11 21:04:07

"that being single is better than being in all but the most truly wonderful relationships."
My absolute favourite.

helendigestives Tue 04-Oct-11 21:22:40

Eurgh.

Not all people who have a faith are sickly-sweet and flowery, I promise you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now