Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mum and dad glue

(22 Posts)
mumto2andnomore Fri 30-Sep-11 16:08:01

Im a teacher and was recommended this book the other day, its by Kes Gray. Ive ordered it to read to my class and thought some of you might find it useful to read to your children. Its in rhyme and is about a little boy who goes to find some glue to stick his mum and dad back together sad but in the end he realises even though they are apart they will always love him smile Its on amazon for £4.50.
Hope no one minds me posting this, I just thought it was so lovely and wanted to share.

WiiUnfit Fri 30-Sep-11 20:33:21

"Im a teacher and was recommended this book the other day" - Really? You're a teacher? shock

cheesesarnie Fri 30-Sep-11 20:34:30

wiiunfit-bit uncalled for.

sounds lovely op.

mumto2andnomore Fri 30-Sep-11 20:40:21

Not sure what you mean by that but sorry if Ive offended you in some way !
Thanks cheesesarnie it is a lovely book, we all had tears in our eyes reading it.

cheesesarnie Fri 30-Sep-11 20:44:26

ive heard of it somewhere before but cant think where.maybe surestarts recommended books?

catsrus Fri 30-Sep-11 20:53:14

It was a snipe at your grammar OP - "was recommended this book ..." hmm is ungrammatical and would have been better written as something like "this book was recommended to me the other day; "Mum and Dad glue" by Kes Gray"

cheesesarnie Fri 30-Sep-11 20:54:50

does it matter?would you be so rude if she hadnt said she was a teacher?

PeppermintPasty Fri 30-Sep-11 20:58:43

Oh god, she's not at work now! Who cares? We all understood. Sounds interesting OP.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 30-Sep-11 21:01:33

Oh get off your high horse Wii and stick it back in its stable. Jeez, there's always one....

Sounds good OP.

Chrononaut Fri 30-Sep-11 21:12:15

sounds good op smile
wish there had been books like that when my parents divorced!

plantsitter Fri 30-Sep-11 21:14:13

It was in a perfectly acceptable conversational register and this board is for having conversations on.

Book sounds great.

freddy05 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:26:48

My DD picked this book up in the library one day and we read it not knowing what it was about I thought it was a very good book to read with children faced with the issue BUT it opened up a conversation with DD that i don't think she needed to have at her age. I know Children with both parents at home are becoming rarer but they don't really need introducing to the idea of parents spliting up. I would recommend the book to any family going through a split but i'm not sure I'd be impressed if my DD came home from school having been read the book and I had to explain about family breakdown to her.

DamselInDisarray Fri 30-Sep-11 22:50:01

Hate to tell you, but she'll learn about non-nuclear family set ups from several of the kids in her class anyway.

anothermum92 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:51:09

Message withdrawn

ginandtonicandcrisps Fri 30-Sep-11 22:55:57

My nine year old is in a year group of 60, with just three divorced parents and so it's very much the minority for some children.
Not that I am against the book, as I'm not! It sounds good grin

ReadRideABikeSwim Fri 30-Sep-11 22:56:35

freddy05 - welcome to the real world

freddy05 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:58:09

She knows about different family set ups, of course she does. My point was as a teacher reading it to a class, as the OP was talking about, it might not go down well with some parents if they are suddenly faced with questions that 'come out of the blue' as they don't know the book has been read.

It really is a great book to help children with the changes in a family but it strikes me as more of a book for families like 'there's a house in mummy's tummy' is a great book for families with new babies on the way but you wouldn't expect a teacher to read it to a class.

marge2 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:59:57

Sounds like a good book for home reading if the issue arises there, but not one for school. Even though we ARE a non traditional family, I would not be happy having the issue forced at school until my DC start asking tbh. The time will come for us. But not just yet thanks. kids are in Y2 and Y4 btw.

I KNOW there are kids in my kids classes whose parents would shit a brick if their kids were given the idea that parents might not stay tpogther forever...and I can't say I blame them. Let them stay innocent as long as poss.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Sep-11 23:02:50

I got upset reading the amazon description of this! A bit late for DS as he was too young when me and XP split to remember us being together now, but it is a nice thing to have, I think. Any lifeline, validation of feelings, etc is incredibly important, especially if the parents are wrapped up in themselves and forget the effect it's having on DC, which does sadly often happen in these situations. Also worth bearing in mind it's common for DC in divorce situations to internalise a lot of distress, so not always obvious to parents especially when they are going through a stressful time themselves.

Sorry, but I think any good this book does in the classroom for children experiencing this is going to massively outweigh any possible distress caused by another child realising for the first time that some parents split up.

anothermum92 Fri 30-Sep-11 23:07:11

Message withdrawn

marge2 Fri 30-Sep-11 23:19:57

No - we are not a single parent family. DH was married before . Ex left HIM before I was on the scene. I have three teenage step kids, who DSs get on brilliantly with. Amazingly, my two DSs have not yet started asking many questions about how the whole situation arose. When they do we will be more than happy to answer them in a way that they will understand and which is appropriate to OUR family. But when they are ready , not when the issue is highlighted to them by someone ELSE reading them a book at school.

WiiUnfit Sat 01-Oct-11 10:09:18

I do apologise OP, must have had my judgeypants on there confused

I agree that children will learn about non-nuclear families from many of their friends' families but the book sounds good for making it easier for DC's whose parents are splitting / have split.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now