Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

mediation service

(8 Posts)
workshy Wed 28-Sep-11 19:28:26

has anyone used a mediation service and would you mind telling me the approximate costs?

MediatorConflictCoach Sat 01-Oct-11 10:03:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

DonDiegoYDoritoYTinto Sat 01-Oct-11 10:51:48

If its for family issues, I recommend the Institute of family therapy as a good place to start. I think their fees are means tested.

AlanSharland Sat 01-Oct-11 11:45:59

Hi workshy
Mediation can sometimes be free depending on what it's for. For neighbour disputes there are often local community mediation services that provide it for free. For family separation mediation some community mediation services also provide that for free but very often it is associated with solicitors practices in which case you are likely to pay 'legal rates'. If it is for mediation within a family (rather than after separation over access to children, financial asset distribution etc.) then there are a range of organisations that can provide support for that eg. sometimes teenagers and parents fall out to the extent that the young person makes themself/are made homeless by the parents. And of course sometimes there are other 'in-family' disputes over a range of issues. But back to cost, you would normally expect to pay in stages, that is, a fee for meeting separately with a mediator, followed by a fee for the joint meeting with the other person and roughly the costs (assuming a commercial provider) will be somewhere between £70 - £150 for the separate meeting and between £100 per hour and £160 per hour for the joint meeting (costs given per hour for the jm as their length varies from provider to provider, some do 90 mins, some do 3 hours and some inbetween). Hope that helps and sorry to all that I used my commercial name and link in my earlier response. blush

IdjustassoonkissaWookiee Sat 01-Oct-11 11:48:25

Mediation for divorce? I've only heard very good things. Have you looked on this website?

Wisedupwoman Sat 01-Oct-11 18:24:42

I've used mediation for divorce settlement.

I used a Lawyer-Mediator who charges £200 per hour and meetings are between an hour and a half and two hours. We had a fairly straightforward process which is still complex as it involves property and pensions. But the more skilled the mediator IMO, the quicker it can get sorted. We are about to have our third and I anticipate last meeting before the report is written and sent to my sol. Much cheaper than court, who demand couple's to try mediation in divorce now anyway.

themediator1 Tue 04-Oct-11 16:31:03

Hi try this link here. Its a new company that does online mediation far cheaper than any else I can find. www.me-d8.com

galleywench100 Tue 04-Oct-11 18:32:26

My partner used it for divorce, it cost each party £600. However his ex did not stick to it as its not legally binding however it gets everything written down and in the open, however £1200 a lot to do that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now