Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

books on abuse with non-obvious titles/covers?

(15 Posts)
livingonthedge Tue 27-Sep-11 11:01:35

Can anyone recommend any books on emotional abuse/controlling behaviour with plain covers or less obvious titles (or a way to hide them)?

Sitting here reading "how to live with a controlling monster" is going to be like red rag to a bull grin

I can't be the only one thinking that I'd really like to read some of these but can't possibly have them in the house (haven't got a kindle and oh works from home).

Do they do plain covered versions (this would seem to make sense)?

kat2504 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:31:05

Have you got an android phone? I have downloaded the Kindle reader app on mine and I can download straight from the kindle store onto my mobile.
I don't know any titles of books for you I'm afraid. Perhaps you could have an amazon package delivered to your work address or to a friend's house?
does anyone know if it is possible to download kindle reader onto a laptop?

garlicnutty Tue 27-Sep-11 11:47:05

Yep, Kindle Anywhere smile

I've often thought that about abuse books, OP! Another idea - if you can get out to the library (if it's still there), they can order books for you and you can read them there.

garlicnutty Tue 27-Sep-11 11:55:24

Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That?" - Kindle edition
Patricia Evans's "Controlling People" - Kindle
Patricia Evans "The Verbally Abusive Relationship" - Kindle

buzzskillington Tue 27-Sep-11 12:08:07

Could you put a different dust-jacket on it?

'How to Please Your Man' (if there's such a book, might be a good un. smile No perhaps not, he might flick through something like that. 'Pride & Prejudice' or summat.

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Tue 27-Sep-11 12:20:17

Go read them in a bookstore café?

Read websites if you really can't access books, and delete your internet history religiously? (plenty of good websites suggested at the start of the EA support threads)

livingonthedge Tue 27-Sep-11 13:17:15

grin to "how to please your man" suggestion.

I haven't got any kind of posh phone (a bone of contention between me and oh - he does not like my texting) and no libraries locally. Controlling people may work though as less obvious.

garlicnutty Tue 27-Sep-11 13:31:11

If he doesn't overlook your computer, you can use the Kindle for PC. Link above.

I haven't got any kind of posh phone - he does not like my texting
Gosh, he sounds like a lovely, reasonable person hmm

Have you looked in on the "emotionally abusive" threads (currently on v.5)?

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Tue 27-Sep-11 13:32:16

I really like garlic 's suggestion to download the "Kindle Anywhere" app onto your computer and therefore be able to read any of those books on your own computer screen. Might do that myself!

(not that I have anyone to hid my readings from anymore -- I kept my copies of Lundy and Patricia Evans in my desk drawer at the office. I take it you don't have a workplace where you could sneak in some contraband reading, OP?)

livingonthedge Tue 27-Sep-11 13:49:53

I will try the computer ap smile - hadn't noticed that it was for a PC
We both work from home - I think that this is why it has got worse (the relationship) as he can see what I'm doing all day and I think that it bugs him that I'm not doing what he feels that a good wifey ought to be doing.

ThereGoesTheFear Tue 27-Sep-11 14:01:20

He doesn't like you texting??? Oh dear... Get yourself over here and you might want to take a look at some of the links at the start of the thread.

ThereGoesTheFear Tue 27-Sep-11 14:03:16

Oops I see Garlic's already sent you over to that thread.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 27-Sep-11 14:09:16

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you can't sit down in your own house and read whatever you jolly well want to, you don't need a book to tell you you're living with a controlling arse.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 27-Sep-11 17:22:36

There is only one way to deal with a controlling arse. Cut off its lifeblood by removing it or yourself from what is an obviously unhealthy relationship.

Once you've accomplished this task you will be free to display the books of your choice wherever you wish, and read them whenever you choose.

Freedom is priceless - don't compromise yours.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now