Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Turned down proposal nowex making threats

(5 Posts)
kurtwildsteinthesecond Mon 26-Sep-11 14:43:14

Ex proprosed I said no as I thought itwas money oreintated (over £100,000) and now I'm being threatened. I've not retaliated but its getting to be all the time and about a variety of things. We have a dd together so I can't cut contact, so I put up with verbal abuse and threats every day. Any suggestions? (most are thinly veiled under a disguise of a joke). Have no life as a result of this

buzzskillington Mon 26-Sep-11 14:53:52

You can limit contact.

If possible, have someone else (friend/relative) do hand-overs when he has your dd and don't see him face-to-face. If he calls/texts, only discuss child-related matters - if he becomes abusive, end the call.

You can talk to the police and a solicitor about his threats/abusive behaviour. With legal help on your side, he should back off. You shouldn't put up with this behaviour and him saying he's joking is not a defence, it's how it makes you feel that makes it harrassment, as far as I know.

CactusRash Mon 26-Sep-11 15:35:30

Keep a record of the therad (even if they are in disguise).
Have a word with your sollicitor about it and see what you can do.
If you can, have all the divorce related issue dealt with through your sollicitor.
And as being said before, try and have someone else doing the hand over etc... so that you can limit contact as much as possible.

No point retaliating tbh but if it is frightening you in any way then you need to ake actions and involve police too.

SnapesMistress Mon 26-Sep-11 18:09:05

Did he propose when you were split up? Why would he be out to get your money?

solidgoldbrass Mon 26-Sep-11 21:26:24

Log and report all threats, cut all contact between this man and you, inform him that all handovers will be dealt with by someone else and all other matters will be dealt with via a solicitor. Then put the phone down on him if he rings, ignore emails and texts and if he turns up at your house and causes a disturbance, ring the police to come and remove him. The only thing to do with abusive men is shut them out and stonewall as much as possible. The law cannot force any adult to have a relationship with any other adult and you can use it to keep unpleasant people away from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now