Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Friendships and threes

(5 Posts)
Bluebell99 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:05:23

I have two good friends and we are all on a bit of a fitness drive so have been going for a walk after school drop off. They are both friends of mine and don't know each other that well, but are starting to hit it off and are in a sort of honeymoon period of their friendship iykwwim. Thing is i am finding there being three of us quite difficult. They are sort of ganging up on me in a teasing sort of way, I mean if I say something they will disagree and agree with one another. They are also new to each other so are retelling all their stories which I know already. Thing is, I sort of wish now that I hadn't suggested we exercised together now, as I prefer to see them individually. Not sure how I can get out of it now.

nametapes Tue 27-Sep-11 10:25:02

If its too much, then just pack it in. Just make up some excuse why you cant walk today or something.
But if you want the exercise and are trying to get fit, ignore the banter and burn those calories. Tell them to walk faster and then they wont have the breath to natter. Tell them that if they are to improve fitness and burn any calories they have to be walking at a pace that is too fast for a person to talk.
Try to rise above it all. IKWUM about them ganging up on you. But be strong and stick up for yourself. If they say anything out of order, say, "Excuse me???" " Thats a bit harsh". They sound pretty immature to gang up on you... little bitches in my opinion.
If they become total bitches then tell them and leave the group. You are not a doormat for their ridicule... have some self respect.
Let them go through the motions of verbal diarrhoea...but dont stand for any mockery of you.

ladyintheradiator Tue 27-Sep-11 10:28:04

Are they agreeing with each other and turning on you in order to find common ground? It's awkward meeting friends of friends, when you don't know each other at all and the only thing you appear to have in common is the other friend (IYSWIM) maybe they're just trying to get along with each other, sadly at your expense?

I'd make an excuse like nametapes says and just avoid for a bit.

Bluebell99 Tue 27-Sep-11 14:42:16

Thanks, that is good advice! I did tease them a bit today about being new best friends. I think you are right about teasing me being the thing they have in common. And they don't know each other very well, so aren't aware when one of them says something but actually does something completely different. Lack of self awareness. I think though now if I don't go, they will just go together without me. One of them was running late today, and instead of ringing me, she rang the other one.

HotBurrito1 Tue 27-Sep-11 15:00:27

Annoying though this particular event may be to you, at least they have hit it off. I like it when my friends get on, as they will get on at future parties etc.

I would not go a few times until they have found other common ground. They will learn each other's foibles soon enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now