Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So... NPD

(7 Posts)
MurunBuchstansangur Sun 25-Sep-11 10:12:47

Is 'being a narcissist' something that we decide about other people, or is it something that a person can ever be self-aware about?

Is there anyone who has discovered that they had NPD and was able to do something about it?

Or is it just something that we say, so and so has NPD and that is why they do XYZ?

seriouschanger Sun 25-Sep-11 10:39:11

I read a book a therapist wrote where he helped people with NPD get some recovery from NPD. I think it was called Narcissim?? But I read a lot so cant remember.

It is a diagnosis so not something lay people just decide...and I guess if we see the traits and say 'he's a narcissist' but not really as need to be diagnosed by clinical/forensic psychologist or psychiatrist.

Narcassim is a in a subgroup of diagnosis of personality disorders a spectrum of disorders and others such as sociopath and psychopath are in it...but a person can have both...so ie psychopath with narcissim traits. That is what I have read/understand.

seriouschanger Sun 25-Sep-11 10:40:06

PS Love your name and want it! I used to love MuranB as a kid grin

MurunBuchstansangur Sun 25-Sep-11 10:56:29

I know 'lay diagnoses' not a good idea.

What I'm trying to ask is, is the nature of narcissism such that a person would never think about what they were doing and take steps to change?

<I love my name too smile>

seriouschanger Sun 25-Sep-11 11:11:12

Once a person has insight to their condition which I imagine they are told when diagnosed...but some find out they have this through 'life experiences' how they deal with situations. Some may come to websites like this and say 'What is wrong with me?' Though I imagine most NCD, Sociopaths and personality disordered people dont have the 'insight' into their behaviour unless studying psychology etc and realise they are this diagnosis?

Lots take steps ie they can't stay in a relationship or even have a relationship or their wife and kids have gone to WA or charged with criminal offence etc...then this is usually when some want to change as dont want to lose wife, kids, job, home etc etc

One woman wanted a relationship and to be loved, she had therapy so i guess the answer is yes they can realise that they are different and yes help is their to help control/change behaviours.

But some are so bad they never see they are wrong/different and it is the rest of the world that is wrong not them.

throwawayforthisone Sun 25-Sep-11 11:18:55

A common issue with narcs is the belief that the problem isn't with them, it's with the rest of the world. It's the biggest pillar that holds up their warped worldview. I believe they rarely respond to treatment which depends on them enacting change or accepting they have an issue.

DontGoCurly Sun 25-Sep-11 11:25:25

I read that because it's beneficial to them (Narcs) they won't change. Also they generally don't have the insight to understand there is something wrong with them. The world revolves around them and they are fascinated with themselves.

The only suffering that Narcs cause is to other people and they don't really care about that so they have no intentions of changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now