Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

First love keen to meet, but I'm not sure......

(12 Posts)
PeepToes Tue 30-Aug-11 12:59:59

Hi everyone

I have recently left me abusive H along with our 3 small DCs, and set up in my hometown. As you can imagine, whilst it has been an enormous relief, it has been incredible hard. I feel that I'm getting my old zest for life back, and am much, much more like myself. So all good.

Anyway, my first love has recently contacted me after 20years and is keen to get together, his intentions are romantic rather than platonic. We have been messaging each other, and it is nice to reminisce. I hadn't had intimacy with anyone for years, so I'm for want of a better expression, desperate!!

Should I just go with the flow, and have fun, or what?

HummelBoy Tue 30-Aug-11 13:02:10

Is he Ex for a reason, ?

MerylStrop Tue 30-Aug-11 13:04:10

If you are feeling like you could cope with it all going wrong (or with the realization that he hasn't -er - aged as well as you/it was a good job you split up in the first place) then why not?

If you are in a strong and happy place and don't take it too seriously, can it really do any harm?

buzzsorekillington Tue 30-Aug-11 13:08:13

What Hummel said. Why did you split with him in the first place?

Anniegetyourgun Tue 30-Aug-11 18:16:39

... and are you absolutely sure he's single?

cathkidstonbag Tue 30-Aug-11 18:27:27

Is he single? Why did he contact you? How did you break up?
That whole "first love" thing is pretty potent stuff and sometimes you ignore things that would otherwise be obvious in someone you just met.
Just because a man was kind, trustworthy, caring 20 years ago does NOT mean he will be now. Treat him as you would if you'd just met him. Have the same kind of boundaries you would do in that situation.

HairyGrotter Tue 30-Aug-11 19:14:17

I did that, 5 months later I was left pregnant and very much alone. Be wary because they are Ex's for reasons and the rose tinted teen view of the boy doesn't necesarily translate well 20 years later...

susiedaisy Tue 30-Aug-11 19:26:58

Why did he become your ex?

crazyhead Tue 30-Aug-11 20:20:33

I got back together my teen love in our 30s, our relationship is just wonderful and I couldn't be happier! So it just depends really - the OP may have split up because she or he just weren't old enough for a serious relationship at the time (how it was in my case)

What I would say though is that it is potentially a bigger 'risk' when there is a history already, so maybe have a good think about whether you are ready yet after your tough recent experiences

ImperialBlether Tue 30-Aug-11 21:27:19

Did you leave your children, too, or just your abusive ex?

PeepToes Wed 31-Aug-11 00:23:20

No my children are with me.

He's an ex because I was going to university and he wasn't. I finished with him.

I guess it's just so flattering, but I totally take on your points. Think I won't take it all too seriously, and maybe we might have some fun along the way!

solidgoldbrass Wed 31-Aug-11 00:26:57

There's no harm in a meeting just to see what he's like these days. As long as you remember that, first love or not, you owe him nothing and if he's a creep, or a bore, or a whinyarse, you can just decline any further meetings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now