Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What to do now?

(4 Posts)
craftyknickers Mon 29-Aug-11 22:39:32

When I was with my ex I wasn't allowed to keep my old friends or do the things I used to do, he lived 20 miles away from home and I was only allowed back to see family.

I have reconnected with a few old friends but some are very reluctant to speak to me after I just left like that.

My life is a bit empty now in terms of social life. What can I do to make new friends? What did you all do?
I don't have children if that helps with suggestions.

I just need people I can text when I'm feeling down or bored and I need activities to keep me busy.

TheDreamWeaver Mon 29-Aug-11 22:49:06

Sure Start Children's Centres have a lot of group activities on, if there's one near you? You don't need kids, they do exercise classes or gardening groups in my area. Or look in your market hall, town hall, community centre, leisure centre for posters advertising things you might be interested in to find like minded people who share an interest. Or your local council website?

Do you work? How about volunteering? In my area we have a dedicated volunteer network for people who can spare a bit of time, and many find it an absolute lifeline and it has helped them with their own health problems, depression, anxiety, isolation etc.

Sorry if none of this helps!

Good luck

HedleyLamarr Mon 29-Aug-11 23:29:52

Tell your friends why you left. If they're really friends they'll understand. Volunteer. Under this government it may be the new job. Ok, most volunteers will probably be a bit older than you. In fact, a good friend of mine puts her new found confidence down to volunteering and martial arts training. Martial arts is where she met her DP, and she is happier than I can remember, and I've known her about 10 years.

HerHissyness Tue 30-Aug-11 01:40:52

what hedley said"

It's such early days crafty, it'll be OK, take it easy, be kind to yourself and think about who you are and where you want to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now