Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What is the definition of great sex?

(96 Posts)
ladycurious Thu 25-Aug-11 16:31:30

I see it mentioned on here often when people say we have great sex blah blah, just trying to work out what "great sex" actually means!

caramelwaffle Thu 25-Aug-11 16:44:15

First and foremost - health: no good having great/fun/ok sex if it is going to kill you much quicker i.e. HIV/AIDS or cause severe damage i.e. infertility by chlamydia

Hygeanic

Consent

Legal and, age appropriate.

Leaves both (or more) participants happy to have taken part at the end/in conclusion.

(These are all basics)

DoMeDon Thu 25-Aug-11 16:45:58

Surely that's safe not great caramel

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 16:47:35

Consensual and fun.

dannyblanchflower Thu 25-Aug-11 16:48:25

Where both of you are both knackered and smily afterwards grin

NewbeeMummy Thu 25-Aug-11 16:50:19

second what danny said

Have been known to say thank you after great sex, not sure why

HyssopBlue Thu 25-Aug-11 16:52:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

caramelwaffle Thu 25-Aug-11 16:54:33

DoMeDon - but you cannot have continuous Great sex without the Safe;
it's like bungee jumping without the safety harness and rope.

Pan Thu 25-Aug-11 16:55:20

Any would be good.grin

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 16:56:04

I think great sex at the beginning of a relationship isn't always the same as great sex 10 or 15yrs in.

Great sex at the beginning is basically lust. Overwhelming passion that makes you bite your lip a little with tingling anticipation when you're only at dinner! Where you don't make it upstairs and you stop for refreshments only to go again.

Great sex 15yrs in with kids is, well, often just managing to do it!

Seriously, the uncontrolable lust goes but you still want each other, touch each other and enjoy pleasing each other. Having such a long standing deep bond of love and trust also makes it great because you know each other so well and feel completely at ease with one another.

I think if the intimacy you have with your partner, whether that includes penetrative sex or not, makes you feel warm, secure, loved and attractive then it's good sex.

dannyblanchflower Thu 25-Aug-11 16:56:55

oooh yes....the jelly legs....

<wants what Hyssop obviously had for breakfast>

solidgoldbrass Thu 25-Aug-11 16:58:05

Sex that ends in unusually intense orgasm for all concerned would be great sex. Sex that is consensual, safe and enjoyed by all concerned is the bare minimum you should expect.

lubeybooby Thu 25-Aug-11 16:58:22

Safe, consentual, loving, fulfilling, is a mutual expression of love and if really good then gives me goosebumps - can also be dirty and kinky as well as loving ...or just plain old loving. I like a mix of all three and if can manage all three within a relationship depending on mood etc then I would consider that to be great sex and a great sex life.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 16:59:32

grin
DH actually said to me after our first was born, 'I know it won't be easy but you'll have to make less noise than usual now or you'll wake the baby.' [cheeky bastard]

Fatshionista Thu 25-Aug-11 17:02:25

I think great sex is an emotional connection, a good amount of foreplay and penetration and an orgasm at the end of it. Eye contact, moaning, positions, variable pressures and techniques etc. DH and I have good sex but occasionally we have great sex and I love the spontaneous great sex peppered throughout the year.

noddyholder Thu 25-Aug-11 17:03:44

When you are knackered afterwards but still think we should do this more! I always think when its great that I will definitely be doing it again the next night but rarely maintain the excitement

chocolateyclur Thu 25-Aug-11 17:07:22

Consensual and fun, and giving both partners what THEY want out of sex.

For me, intense and a little bit emotional, with a cheeky bit of kinky and a stonking orgasm. Then afterwards being caught between wishing I'd closed the windows, and the smugness that all the bypassers know we've had a good time.

Right now, I'd settle for knowing that he wanted to do it instead of doubting myself/him with the stupid fecking pregnancy hormones.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Aug-11 17:53:18

Any would be good

Yes, I am grin

HyssopBlue Thu 25-Aug-11 17:55:49

TheFlyingOnion Thu 25-Aug-11 17:58:50

proper knee trembling orgasms, the best in my life EVER

I'm going all misty eyed for DP now....

Unreasonablyfedup Thu 25-Aug-11 18:00:31

Great sex is when you both want to go another round straight after you finish!

Bumpsadaisie Thu 25-Aug-11 18:02:03

The greatest sex I've had recently was an aborted attempt on holiday in Spain. I was 20 odd weeks pregnant but very large early on (now 33 weeks and haven't grown much).

Attempted to "mount" DH, logistics proved too difficult, my balance was out, I toppled off and landed splat on my elbow on the (marble) floor. I was f-ing and blinding, DH trying to be sympathetic and not laugh!

Once the pain subsided we had a real laugh about it and a nice cuddle (we couldnt keep going as the mood had totally gone!) So it was useless sex in physical terms but very nice in all the ways that really matter.

My elbow is still a bit purpley yellow now!!

HyssopBlue Thu 25-Aug-11 18:03:56

IslaValargeone Thu 25-Aug-11 18:04:29

Great sex is the type of sex so good, that when the opportunity presents itself, means that at 3 o'clock in the morning, you have to get in the car, drive to the nearest garage several miles away to buy condoms because you just have to have it.

hardshipuntold Thu 25-Aug-11 18:41:11

never had great sex with dh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now