Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Alcohol dependency

(5 Posts)
music78 Mon 22-Aug-11 16:30:06

Not sure if right section but here goes.
I have a sibling who is drinking more than is healthy.
Family has been hit by various bereavements and other challenges.
I think alcohol is being used as a crutch but it does not appear to be helping.
How can we give support?

IWantWine Mon 22-Aug-11 16:57:13

hey I am sorry to hear that. I have to say I am watching this thead with interest.

Alcohol is the best emotional pain killer I know. sad I wish they would invent a 'paracetamol' for the days I go to pieces. I wish I had something constructive to say. I do have family and a few friends but I know they worry so I try very hard not to lean on them. They are kind of emotionally involved and get upset on my behalf.

My brother said: 'life looks better through the bottom of a glass'. Sadly that is all too true, at least for me, at the moment.

I hope some lovely wise mumsnetter has the answer for everyone's sake! smile

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 22-Aug-11 20:47:09

The main thing is not to pressure them to stop. You could look at www.al-anonuk.org.uk/al-anon for some advice on how to handle it. It would be advisable for them to seek counselling to deal with the underlying issues that are causing them to drink (like the stuff you said) before the drinking becomes the biggest issue. Hth

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 22-Aug-11 20:47:54

Oops link should be alanon

FabbyChic Mon 22-Aug-11 20:53:53

All you can tell them is that you are there for them to talk to, when someone has a drink problem there is nothing that can be done for them until they ask for help and seek it themselves.

Depending on the amount of time spent abusing alcohol will depend on whether or not they need medical intervention to help them stop. A long term drinker cannot just cease as it causes the body to go into shock and can cause severe medical problems thus they need medication to stabilise themself when stopping drinking.

Hardened drinkers cannot just cut down they actually have to totally stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now