Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

is this normal?

(40 Posts)
Bronte Thu 18-Aug-11 18:44:12

DP has just thrown all his evening meal in bin cos DD 6 years coughed over it without covering her mouth. She's now upset and i can't face eating anything.

EternalPie Thu 18-Aug-11 18:56:31

I would have done the same as your DP.

But then I am arsey about stuff like that.

DontGoCurly Thu 18-Aug-11 19:13:07

hmm It'd take a lot more than that to put me off my food but people are different.....

Was there anything visible or was it just the fact she coughed ?

Bronte Thu 18-Aug-11 19:16:23

Just the cough. I think you're right EP. He's just arsey as well! I just see it as a complete OTT over reaction. Maybe it's not?

perfumedlife Thu 18-Aug-11 19:18:19

Well, unless he is demanding a whole new dinner, it's his to do with as he pleases. I wouldn't eat it either. I would be miffed, especially as I drill the coughing manners into ds and it was avoidable. He's just hungry and hacked off.

kayah Thu 18-Aug-11 19:18:30

Does he think that whathever germs she soughet up aren't in the air in the same room as the coughing happened?

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Aug-11 19:20:32

No it's not normal.

ScarlettIsWalking Thu 18-Aug-11 19:21:51

I would have done the same - sorry but hand covering mouth when coughing esp at the table in front of food is something DD knew at 3 yo.

Shinyshoes1 Thu 18-Aug-11 19:24:47

its a cough and it's his daughter I'm assuming she hasn't got tuberculosis hmm

People act too precious these days and waste too much food.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Thu 18-Aug-11 19:25:36

It's your dh's job to teach his dd to cover her mouth when she coughs, so he's failed in that respect hasn't he?

It's his dinner though to do what he wants with.

Did you cook it or did he? I bet it was you.

PuppyMonkey Thu 18-Aug-11 19:26:16

No, not normal IMHO. Kids are kids, they sometimes make mistakes. Obviously not Scarlet's 3 yo wink but, you know, lots of others.

CalamityKate Thu 18-Aug-11 19:32:59

Oh diddums. He can't have been that hungry. What would he have done if, say, your daughter had coughed in his face when she was a baby? Washed his face in bleach? hmm

babyhammock Thu 18-Aug-11 19:45:47

How pathetic of him... what's he like the rest of the time?

Bronte Thu 18-Aug-11 19:49:33

Perfumed life seems to have a good take on it. It was just the dramatic way he had to demonstrate food going into bin! It was nothing elaborate by the way.. a jacket spud with bacon and salad!!

Spellcheck Thu 18-Aug-11 19:56:17

Yes it's his dinner to do with as he wishes...but perhaps a more tactful approach would have been best? She's only 6, and probably really hurt! I think it was out of order - but then I'm a softie and hate seeing children upset by adults. They see things so differently to us. Hope she's ok now!

mrsravelstein Thu 18-Aug-11 19:58:01

honestly i think it's bordering on creepily horrible to have reacted like that. bloody hell, ds1 has thrown up in my face and i didn't tell him off for that.

RubyLT Thu 18-Aug-11 20:24:06

My DH would have done the same thing.

Chummybud1 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:26:42

I think it's overboard. She is only little and is now upset, he should have done it discreetly but explained that she must cover her mouth and made himself a sandwich.

solidgoldbrass Thu 18-Aug-11 20:30:26

Is your H someone who is particularly picky over food or squeamish about germs? If so, then there is some excuse for his behaviour; some people are really oversensitive about this sort of thing (and TBH generally sholdn't be allowed to eat in company and/or given a swift kick up the ringpiece if they start performing, anyway).
If he isn't normally like this, then his behaviour is a nasty, spiteful, attention-seeking piece of bullying, meant to upset and guilt-trip a six-year-old far more severely than a moment's carelessness deserves.

SheCutOffTheirTails Thu 18-Aug-11 20:30:51

I agree with mrs - that is a horrible way to treat a 6 year old child.

DuelingFanjo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:33:45

"It was just the dramatic way he had to demonstrate food going into bin! It was nothing elaborate by the way"

it's not the fact he did it that is wrong but the way he did it. He wanted to punnish her by the sound of it, by being a dog in a manger. Not nice IMO.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 18-Aug-11 20:35:47

No, it's not normal. Nasty. There were plenty of tactful ways he could have explained to her what she should have done and discreetly disposed of his dinner without upsetting her.

bejeezus Thu 18-Aug-11 20:44:05

yes- agree with others. If he was REALLY repulsed he should have just left it or thrown it away discreetly, not used it to punish her

id be cross

spit in his tea

ThePosieParker Thu 18-Aug-11 20:47:53

Is he her Dad?

elastamum Thu 18-Aug-11 20:52:30

FGS! You all live in the same house, you swap germs all the time. If she spat in his dinner it wouldnt mean he would be any more likely to catch anything. In our house you can eat anything, provided you get to it before the dog does. I'm a healthcare scientist BTW

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now