Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do I tell DS that he's never going to see EXP again!!

(8 Posts)
lookingfoxy Thu 18-Aug-11 17:59:42

It will break his heart, he's 6.

He has stopped asking about him all the time and is used to him not being here in this house anymore, he will say now and again that he misses him.

Its not been a week yet, but ex does not want anymore contact with either of us. (im totally over it now, was devastated when we first split) bit of the story here

Ex is not ds's dad, but we were a couple from before he was a year old.

Has anyone else been in this position, I don't want to screw ds's head up at such a young age!!

lookingfoxy Thu 18-Aug-11 18:00:05

Im going out to work for a couple of hours, will check back later xx

Onemorning Thu 18-Aug-11 19:25:08

No advice, but I'm so sorry for you and DS.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Thu 18-Aug-11 20:34:46

I would avoid telling him that just now. It's too final. ExDick may change his mind at some point, and the word 'never' is a big one.

lookingfoxy Thu 18-Aug-11 20:42:53

See as ds stopped asking about ex until the last time he seen him(I chased him to see ds) I was hoping to go down the same road again...?! Or is this too simplistic, I know ds will ask at some point, but its easy to keep him busy with fun activities so he doesn't really notice, so maybe further down the line it won't be such a blow?!

Hassled Thu 18-Aug-11 20:47:24

I don't think you should make such a final statement at this stage. As Eric says, Ex may well change his mind (this happened with a friend recently). Let the dust settle - be vague about it. Tell him Ex loves him very much (if he needs to hear that) and you'll just see what happens. Stall.

YoungishBag Thu 18-Aug-11 20:48:51

You say nothing. Anger passes. Things change. You telling him that cant be undone - so don't.

lookingfoxy Thu 18-Aug-11 20:57:25

I don't think ex will change his mind for a variety of reasons.
I am being vague, changing the subject, keeping ds busy etc, so I will continue to do this.
I just wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do or not, so thank you everyone, I will carry on as I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now