Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

(2 Posts)
BreakOutTheKaraoke Thu 11-Aug-11 10:00:09

Was with a friend last night, talking to one of her friends, who is in a relationship that is breaking down, and she wants to leave. The house where she is living is in her partners name (not married I think), but she has been paying the mortgage from her private bank account for the past however many months, and contributed towards change, etc to the house.

My friend went through a divorce herself 3 years ago, similar situation, and was told she had no claims on her partners house, so told her friend the situation woulkd likely be the same. I know that I've read on here that in that situation, she should be entitled to a share in the house, but can't find any links, etc, that go into details. Can anyone help with a link or two I can forward to her about this please?

I'm sorry I don't know many details, and I don't know this woman to ask (obviously its none of my business really!), but I told my friend I was sure Mumsnet was right, and I want to back it up! grin

piano10 Thu 11-Aug-11 10:43:13

Not sure myself, i would have thought she has no rights to the house cos they are not married.
She could go to the C.A.B agency and they can advise her...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: