Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Love at first sight...do you believe in it?

(39 Posts)
OscarLove Wed 10-Aug-11 17:38:08

I met my bf about a month ago in real life after talking to him on internet dating, and I can honestly say that from day 1, the first time I clapped eyes on him in person and we said our first hello's, I felt something very strong. I have never been in love before, depsite being in 3 previous relationships, until now grin

Doha Wed 10-Aug-11 17:40:08

Yes definately smile

AKissIsNotAContract Wed 10-Aug-11 17:41:16

I don't. I think you can feel lust and attraction but not love.

said Wed 10-Aug-11 17:43:17

In love is not the same as love though. So, pretty easy to feel lust/attraction and fall in love almost instantly. But that is not the same as love.

DaveGrohlsgirl Wed 10-Aug-11 17:44:43

Yes absolutely!!
When DH and I met I was married, and the first thought I had on meeting him was......."this is the person I am supposed to be with, I love him and am married to someone else"
To put it into context (although I am prepared to be flamed!).....we met at work and it was a chance meeting at a shop, not an office thing. I didn't see him again for 3 months.

purplepidjin Wed 10-Aug-11 17:46:04

Ditto, OscarLove. Met DP on a (not dating) internet forum, chatted, exchanged photos, texts - i think I might have fallen for him the first time i heard his voice, but it was definite the first time we met in person - we're still very much together nearly 2 years on.

I thought I'd loved people before, but it was nothing like this grin

FreakoidOrganisoid Wed 10-Aug-11 17:48:16

Not love at first sight, but I do believe that you can have an instant connection with some people and that given the right timing/circumstance/whatever it can develop into love or deep friendship.

purplepidjin Wed 10-Aug-11 17:52:23

That's what the sensible and rational and very very small part of me says, FreakoidOrganisoid wink

AitchTwoOh Wed 10-Aug-11 17:53:14

i do, and i did. although we didn't actually get together for yonks afterwards. (because he didn't see me, arf).

said Wed 10-Aug-11 17:54:47

But I've had that feeling loads of a few times DG'sgirl and then it's not worked out. It's all timing. The in love can become love and then you look back and believe you "fell in love at first sight". Just fortunate timing

JodieHarsh Wed 10-Aug-11 18:02:04

I fell in love with my husband when I was 13, decided to marry him on the spot, became his best pal at 16, started dating at 17, engaged at 19, married at 20, now married 11 years. I have many male friends, 2 of whom are as close as brothers, yet can still say DH is the dearest, best, kindest man I ever met, my soulmate and best pal and laughing-partner and fellow-cook and walking-partner and general all-round co-pilot.

In short: Yes! grin

maras2 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:13:14

Happened to me 44 years ago.Still going strong.

Whatmeworry Wed 10-Aug-11 18:15:58

Lust yes...love is also about building trust, takes longer

aquos Wed 10-Aug-11 18:17:55

I have only experienced love at first sight once - it was with my dog. Still going strong after 8 years.

joblot Wed 10-Aug-11 18:31:48

Depends how you define love.
My ex and I were strongly attracted to each other and I would have called it love at first sight. After it went toys up I revised my opinion. I think we are lulled into romantic ideals that don't really exist.
But then I would think that

joblot Wed 10-Aug-11 18:32:34

Tits up. No toys involved

JodieHarsh Wed 10-Aug-11 18:34:27

grin

Was just thinking 'Toys up what?!'

CailinDana Wed 10-Aug-11 18:39:07

Before I met my DH I would have said no way. Then it happened. The minute I clapped eyes on him I fancied him (so I suppose it wasn't really love at first sight) but as soon as I kissed him I thought, for no good reason, "thank god, I found you," and I felt relieved, like everything was going to be all right. It was a weird feeling, not lusty at all (although there was that too!), more a sense of contentment that things had clicked into place. He said he felt the same thing. He asked me to marry him three months later, we're still together ten years later and I love him in exactly the same way now as I did then. We never went through that awkward period of getting to know each other, and never had a "well we/won't we" period where things are uncertain, it was just like we met and that was it, we were together forever. Crazy and weird and I wouldn't believe it if you told me about it.

CailinDana Wed 10-Aug-11 18:39:59

"will we/won't we"

CailinDana Wed 10-Aug-11 18:40:48

Maras I'd love to hear your story.

lemonstartree Wed 10-Aug-11 18:41:15

yes. definitely. It took me till I was 46, broken abusive marriage, 3 kids and loads of crap, but I know I am with the person I am supposed to be with now....and it has always felt ... right

psiloveyou Wed 10-Aug-11 18:43:33

No I don't. Lust and a strong attraction definately. If all the circumstances are right and you are very lucky it can turn into a deep and long lasting love.

I suppose if everything works out for a couple who have experienced instant attraction they could (mistakenly IMO) assume it was love at first sight.
I thought when I married dh my love was as strong as it could be. 15 years later I realise my feelings then were nothing compared to the strong sense of love, loyalty and respect I have for him now.

MrsHicks Wed 10-Aug-11 19:27:39

Not love at first sight, but I do believe that you can have an instant connection with some people and that given the right timing/circumstance/whatever it can develop into love or deep friendship.

I agree with what FreakoidOrganisoid said. I've had this happen twice.

DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 19:32:32

Message withdrawn

DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 19:36:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now