Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So, what if you are not married?

(8 Posts)
tostaky Mon 08-Aug-11 14:26:11

I have been with DP for 7 years now, we have two DSs (3 and 1.5).
I have jeopardised my career to support his career (I am still working 4 days a week but I do everything around the house and the children and we were planning for me to stop working and have a third baby - obviosuly this wont happen)
So if I leave him (he is bullying me and I cannot stand it anymore), what will I get?

Anyone been in the same situation? Do we have the same rights as someone married?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 08-Aug-11 14:30:47

Afaik you do not have the same rights as a married couple. You will get child maintenence but I think that's about it.

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 14:31:29

Child maintenance is all

JeffTracy Mon 08-Aug-11 14:33:18

No - you do not have the same rights as someone who is married. If the children continue to live with you then you can get child support (via the CSA if necessary). But you will not benefit from spousal maintenance, for example, to compensate for differences between your incomes. It can be complicated - especially with the family house - so best to talk to a solicitor.

mumsamilitant Mon 08-Aug-11 14:34:36

Yep, just child maintenance.

tostaky Mon 08-Aug-11 15:16:51

why oh why did I say "no" a few years back.....!!! sad

tabulahrasa Mon 08-Aug-11 15:26:15

You don't have the same rights as a married couple, but actually it depends with other stuff - you might be entitled to some of the house, if it was bought in joint names, you own some of the house, if you've done anything to add value to the house you could argue (legally) that you own some of the house.

So definitely talk to a solicitor.

BustySinclair Mon 08-Aug-11 15:27:21

see a solicitor, know exactly where you stand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now