Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

On divorce

(6 Posts)
Soundadviceplease Sun 07-Aug-11 19:37:56

I have lived in a very turbulent marriage. I have finally come to the end and desperately want a divorce. We have come to this stage before, but it goes on cycles, 2 weeks being nice 1 week snappy 1 week vicious and horrible. I have tried to get us help and tried to leave on several occasions, but all have failed, we end up "getting on with life" and then start the cycle again. I really have to break it, but don't know how.

Its his house, I work from home, have 2 DD's, and have no family close or otherwise. He won't leave, I know he will ignore any formal documentation thinking I am just "being ridiculous". How do I get him to realise I am very serious?

BertieBotts Sun 07-Aug-11 19:39:54

I don't think he can just ignore all formal documentation - do you mean something like getting an occupation order? If he ignores that he can be arrested.

Do you have access to money of your own?

RandomMess Sun 07-Aug-11 19:41:35

If you're married it isn't his house, it's the house of the marriage.

Soundadviceplease Sun 07-Aug-11 19:48:07

I really just don't know where to start. Do I just contact a solicitor? Can I start proceedings whilst living with him? I say his house as the deeds and mortgage are in his and his ex-wifes name (believe me 10years of painful arguing over this have also contributed) which he has never bothered dealing with. I literally have nowhere to go and if I stop working will also have no income.

RandomMess Sun 07-Aug-11 19:49:41

yes contact a solicitor, yes you can start proceedings. You can start living financially and practically seperately and claim tax credits as a single parent on just your income etc etc

Soundadviceplease Sun 07-Aug-11 19:52:41

Would I get any help with legal proceedings, as I don't earn much and obviously the house isn't in my name? Or will that all be dealt with during a settlement. I am so desperate to get out I would be happy to take a settlement sum, just to get me somewhere rented to live and let him have his house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now