Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

shd i worry abt inlaws?

(12 Posts)
year2011 Thu 04-Aug-11 09:16:38

anytime am around them i dnt feel comfortable as i dnt want to offend anyone.apparantly i always offend them if i have to use the sink to wash babies bottles,warm babies food,etc without asking permission.i feel like in prison when aound them but when they r around i do my best to make them feel at home.i realy want the kids to get to knw them well but they dnt seem interested,he wants us to visits soon but i dnt think am ready.Am i being unreasonable?shd i worry abt their behaviour?

GypsyMoth Thu 04-Aug-11 09:20:35

I think you should worry more about the missing vowels in your post!!

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 09:23:34

I am confused, the sink thing makes it sound like you live with them but you say you do your best to make them feel at home? Do you live with them? Or do they visit often?

Reality Thu 04-Aug-11 09:24:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 09:27:05

Oh. Just re-read that (your txtspk does make it very difficult for us thickies) and you are planning on visiting but you don't feel ready? So you're saying that your DH wants you to visit but when you do, they don't seem interested and are snitty about you caring for your children in their (in-laws) house? Is that it?

Do they live somewhere you could stay in a B&B nearby and just visit them in small chunks? Or stay with nicer family members and visit them in the daytime or do family trips?

year2011 Thu 04-Aug-11 19:01:00

ILoveTIFFANY,can you correct me i dnt knw where ive gone wrng. Thanks SuePurblybilt,i do not live with them we use to visit them and they visit once in a blue moon.sometimes we stay in B&B but spends most of the time at theirs

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Aug-11 19:14:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

year2011 Thu 04-Aug-11 19:26:54

thanks BeerTricksPotter

buzzsore Thu 04-Aug-11 19:42:47

Why don't you just ask, if you know it's you using their sink etc without asking first that gets their backs up? OK, it's more than a bit daft that you can't just be treated less like an imposing guest, but it seems their way. Or instead of each time, say at the beginning of your visit "will it be alright if I just borrow the sink/microwave etc as and when the baby needs things?"

They sound awkward buggers 'though if they get upset about you using their kitchen for their gc.

year2011 Thu 04-Aug-11 20:13:39

thanks buzzsore ill do that next time n see their reaction

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 04-Aug-11 20:18:15

They sound rather awkward and unwelcoming. They are your dp's parents and they are no keen on you using their sink! Could your dp/dh have a chat with them?
My own ils are a little bit inhospitable/unwelcoming, so I sympathise.They refuse to have so much as a plastic cup in the house, it's a real nuisance if we forget to take a plastic cup or other minor item. Grandad gets narky if they get too many toys out, they find it intrusive if "guests" enter the kitchen or if dcs use the bathroom unaccompanied.

year2011 Fri 05-Aug-11 08:41:35

thanks onepieceofcremeegg,do u feel comfortable when u go round?the other time they were out in garden so i change the tv chanel to cbeebies 4 KIDS but they weren"t happy when they came in,i just wanted kids to be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now